Flying a Helicopter?

/ Flying a Helicopter? #131  
the best way to post video is to just post it to YouTube, and then provide a link over here or embed the link. I don't think this site will host video by itself.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than smart James. I think I got it. I'll try to post some more. :)

/ Flying a Helicopter? #132  
Obviously that worked. How fast was that blackhawk moving? It seemed pretty fast.

/ Flying a Helicopter? #133  
So where does the Osprey and the Bell Agusta figure into all this?

2228f2c51555f09b71d674c4273460e8.jpg

/ Flying a Helicopter? #134  
My My Richard, you have lived a charmed life! Thanks for the pictures and a big thanks for your service sir..

/ Flying a Helicopter? #135  
Here's one coming into Camp Anaconda at Balad Iraq.

/ Flying a Helicopter? #136  
My My Richard, you have lived a charmed life! Thanks for the pictures and a big thanks for your service sir..

Murph, we have talked about this before, way better to be lucky than skilled. No thanks required here. Thank you for your support my friend. :)

/ Flying a Helicopter? #137  
That last one, notice how he had to follow the runway pattern as if he were fixed wing. Also notice in the brief moments, how young the Gunners are..... :)

/ Flying a Helicopter? #138  
That last one, notice how he had to follow the runway pattern as if he were fixed wing. ...

We live near an airport, and I worked there for about 6 years, about 30 years ago. Sometimes they let helicopters fly direct to their destination on the field, and sometimes they made them follow the pattern, taxiways, etc... originally, I thought it was due to traffic or no traffic that dictated the decision to make them strict or as the crow flies. But after talking to some pilots, I found that unless they requested "direct to" spot X on the field, the controllers would just treat them like any other fixed wing aircraft. Of course, we weren't at a military base, so I imagine things might be different VS a civilian airport.

/ Flying a Helicopter? #139  
Obviously that worked. How fast was that blackhawk moving? It seemed pretty fast.

Not sure. We usually hauled butt, even when out in the desert.

Funny story. Flying to Tikrit, across open desert, 100ft, fast. I had headgear on and was listening to the crew visiting. Co-Pilot looked over at Pilot and said "powerline". Every kepr visiting including the pilot. I looked off to the right and can see a huge powerline on metal towers. We are going to cross it soon. Again copilot said "Powerline". Again chatter continued. Now we are getting close to powerline and definitely flying too low. This time copilot looks at pilot and screams "POWERLINE"!!! Pilot yanks back on the stick and we lurched upward missing the powerline by what looked like a few feet. The Pilot screamed "Jesus Christ man why didnt you warn me!!!" Total silence for a few seconds then everybody started laughing and saying "he did twice". Then they are all laughing and chattering again. Took me a couple minutes longer to see the humor. For them it was just another flight. :)

/ Flying a Helicopter? #140  
These Soldiers just finished a mission. Each one's perception of it is reflected in their faces. The Soldier on the right isn't sure what just happened but he's going to keep a positive attitude. The Soldier on the left is just feeling lucky he's still breathing. The Soldier in the middle is mad.

Great study of human nature and how it responds to very difficult situations. No judgement here. Just observation.

Yes, that is a great photo. Lots of emotion but you don't know what the emotion is about so it is up to the viewer to decide/think/wonder. :thumbsup:

Later,
Dan