Foam fill brush hog tires?

/ Foam fill brush hog tires? #1  

jshwhite

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4740
I've picked up an old 10ft sidewinder brush hog for mowing this year. Nice hog, but I've blown a tire twice in a few hours of mowing. Not little holes either - huge gash blown through the sidewall. The back of the mower is cut out, which is nice for spreading the grass out, but it means the tires are right in the line of fire for rock shards and other stuff ejected at high velocity. So...what's the cheapest way I could make these tires flat-free? Anyone tried a couple cans of great stuff expanding foam? Ideas welcome.

/ Foam fill brush hog tires? #2  
If possible, just put solid tires on it. I'm not familiar with sidewinder brush hogs, so I don't know why they use air tires instead of solid.

/ Foam fill brush hog tires? #3  
what? Any tire u put on then will get cut up, even if it doesn’t go flat. Sounds like u need to put some chains on the back.

/ Foam fill brush hog tires?
Yeah, I know solid would be best but these aren't a standard size that you would find solid in I don't think.
IMG_20220620_183242281_HDR.jpg

/ Foam fill brush hog tires? #5  
Weld them chains on if you have to !
It will be cheaper than new tires.

Yeah, I should put some chains on it. Just was thinking some foam in the tires would at least prevent small damage/leaks.

/ Foam fill brush hog tires? #7  
Looks like your tires are car size tires. There are web sites that describe how to fill the tires with foam, but they also say small tires like lawn mower tires. However, there are tire companies that will fill larger tires and the method seems to be slightly different so a company with special equipment is needed. Don't know where they're located so might be worth calling some of your local tires shops.

Foam filled tires

/ Foam fill brush hog tires? #8  
Yeah, I know solid would be best but these aren't a standard size that you would find solid in I don't think. View attachment 750881
Well it looks completely adjustable. So most anything around that size will work. It rests on cylinder stops. So buy some more or take some off to adjust height. Oh gee, no, it's GTE.

/ Foam fill brush hog tires? #9  
I've picked up an old 10ft sidewinder brush hog for mowing this year. Nice hog, but I've blown a tire twice in a few hours of mowing. Not little holes either - huge gash blown through the sidewall. The back of the mower is cut out, which is nice for spreading the grass out, but it means the tires are right in the line of fire for rock shards and other stuff ejected at high velocity. So...what's the cheapest way I could make these tires flat-free? Anyone tried a couple cans of great stuff expanding foam? Ideas welcome.
Foam is absolute crap. Call an old time tire store, the ones in a rusty tin building. Fill those tires with urethane. It's very dense. Foam will squish down. Or buy two solid wheels, I've seen them that size. In fact an old cutter here has solid ones on it. It's a bush hog brand. It's 10' just like that one.

Foam is absolute crap. Call an old time tire store, the ones in a rusty tin building. Fill those tires with urethane. It's very dense. Foam will squish down. Or buy two solid wheels, I've seen them that size. In fact an old cutter here has solid ones on it. It's a bush hog brand. It's 10' just like that one.
Thanks for that tip. I'll call some tire places. If I'm gonna spend much though I think I'd rather find some solid tires. Maybe I should check at some farm equipment junkyards.