Foldable ROPS pins VERY tight

/ Foldable ROPS pins VERY tight #11  
jimgerken said:
Mine were also, on a 3720. When I took it in for something else, I mentioned the tight pins. The dealer did a crappy job of re-drilling the holes and didn't deburr afterword. I couldv'e done that myself. No, I couldv'e done way better than that.

Ditto. I was told that they weren't allowed to modify them, that the ROPS would have to be replaced. Being a brand new machine, I was surprised that it left the factory this way, but of course agreed. When the tractor came back, yep, it had been butchered and was loosey goosey without even a paint touch up but I personally prefer loose over a hammer and punch.

I wish I'd done it myself in retrospect. Before taking it back, I did try loosening up all of the mounting screws/bolts, letting it relax, and retightening, but that didn't help. Oh well.

/ Foldable ROPS pins VERY tight #12  
The pins on my 2520 required a bit of persuation to remove....a few laps around the holes with a pencil grinding stone got things to working much better.

/ Foldable ROPS pins VERY tight #13  
Mine were very tight too on the new tractor and required a lot of persuasion with a big hammer. The holes were skilfully filed with a compressed air tool when the mechanic came for the first oil change. Now they are just right, the pins come out easily but there is no vibration.

/ Foldable ROPS pins VERY tight #14  
A round file will work wonders. It did on mine.

/ Foldable ROPS pins VERY tight #15  
I figured out that I had to push and hold one side to get the pin in.. Then pull and hold to get the other pin in..

Took some figuring out on the which to push, which to pull, and in what order

brian

/ Foldable ROPS pins VERY tight #16  
The pins for the JD 4500 foldable ROPS are very tight - I need a hammer & punch to remove them. Is this normal?

Seems the majority of ROPS pins are that way regardless of the tractor.
If you can get your hands on a reamer,they work very well too. That's what I used on mine.:thumbsup:

Greg

/ Foldable ROPS pins VERY tight #17  
Mine were that way on my 3720 when I bought it. I needed a hammer to budge them. The dealer (Deer Country) immediately sent someone to ream them out. The salesman said they do that before delivery knowing that the pins are unreasonably tight from the factory but sometimes it gets overlooked.

/ Foldable ROPS pins VERY tight #18  
My 4400 ROPS pins get tight if I don't lube them with a bit of Fluid Film.

Since MMH's 4500 is probably 10 years old or so, I expect he may be getting a bit of rust in those holes. Before removing any material (reaming or drilling), run a wire brush or use some sand paper on the holes.
Then, keep the pins lubed with Fluid Film.

/ Foldable ROPS pins VERY tight #19  
My new JD 5045D ROPS pins are tight as well. I attribute it to excessive paint in the holes, and possibly a very slight misalignment. I think that over time (It's ROPS up/down every time I leave/enter the garage,) the holes will wear to the point that they will remove/reinstall a little easier. Until then I have a small ball-peen hammer on board in my tool box to drive the pins in and out. I find that the ball end fits inside the pin hole, and gives it just enough for that final tap to release it. I think if I reamed the holes out on the ROPS, eventually it would work it's way to the loose side and make noise, and that would drive me nuts