Food coloring for a dye?

/ Food coloring for a dye?
"Food Dye is Water base... You need Oil base dye... KennyV "

I hadn't thought about that, thanks.

/ Food coloring for a dye? #12  
As long as the sight glass was actually glass, I won't be concerned with adding a dye. But if this is plastic of sorts, then I would stay away from dyes. The dye could permanently stain the plastic and make it even more difficult to read. Now, if you only have a dipstick then the dye would be great for that.
I'm betting the sight glass in my old L3200 was plastic. But it never had any staining issues from the JD dye.

/ Food coloring for a dye? #13  
I could not read the transmission dipstick level on my Kubota so I added a small amount of used engine oil, which darkened it enough to see easy. I service the transmission at the recommended hours, so I can not see any harm from the oil.

/ Food coloring for a dye? #14  
I could not read the transmission dipstick level on my Kubota so I added a small amount of used engine oil, which darkened it enough to see easy. I service the transmission at the recommended hours, so I can not see any harm from the oil.
Set the dipstick on paper & it will stain the paper where there is oil. You have to wipe the dipstick off then dip it again to get a good reading. Works good for me for now to avoid buying another bottle of dye.

/ Food coloring for a dye? #15  
Never thought of that, will try it.

/ Food coloring for a dye? #16  
I used the JD dye in my hydro Kubota!Worked great,almost impossible to see on the dip stick without it.
Note;when I brought it in for service the Kubota tech had thought I had put automatic transmission fluid in my hydro.Used two bottles,one may have been enough.Around $5.00 ea.

We really need to lean on Kubota and have them come up with an Orange colored dye, putting Green in a Kubota is just wrong.

David

/ Food coloring for a dye? #17  
We really need to lean on Kubota and have them come up with an Orange colored dye, putting Green in a Kubota is just wrong.

David
The JD dye is actually red.

/ Food coloring for a dye? #18  
I took a propane torch and heated the end of the dipstick until it turned blue. Just did it in the area where the where the oil shows and most of the dipstick didn't even get warm.
Now it's easy to see the clear oil against the darker dipstick. No scale, no additives, no problems.
luck,
rScotty

/ Food coloring for a dye? #19  
Two words: Squid Ink.
Do NOT use the whole Squid-don't ask me how I know!

BN