food plot implement needed

/ food plot implement needed #11  
You don't need rippers on the front of the disk, they would help but if you get much in the dirt behind your tractor you'll have too much for your tractor. An old field cultivator and a disk can do wonders for food plots or an old plow and a disk can really turn it over and work it up if you want.

/ food plot implement needed
Rick, I don't understand an M9000 is a 90HP Kubota its 4wd and I have all 4 tires solid filled, I've got a Box Blade that weighs 1200+lbs with rippers I can engage untilled ground with them even Hard packed road (accidently /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif) and the tractor doesn't even slow down until I hit a good sized root and even then it just goes grrrruumpph and rips the root out or cuts through it. Is a disk with rippers that much harder to pull thru the earth and if so how many shanks and disk do you think I could pull thru or I guess can I pull the 84" or so width of the tractor which is my intended goal for the implement.
Steve

/ food plot implement needed #13  
<font color="blue">What in ya'lls opinion is the perfect implement to do this on what most would call a very small scale probably 20 or so plots 50' x 50' </font>

Steve,
My earlier suggestion of a wheel disc is not the "perfect" implement for this task but few, if any, alone that have been mentioned are. The wheel disc is a very versatile implement around the ranch. If you want to make do with what you have, the M9000 with your box blade with rippers can certainly do the job. You have the horses and by both grading and ripping you can have food plots. Seed will not germinate as quickly as they would if the soil was firmed up after seeding. However, there will be enough trash etc., on the seed that you will get a stand if you have the moisture.

TK

/ food plot implement needed #14  
A disk is quite varriable on hp needed, depeneding so very much on soil type, angle of the blades, and spacing & size of the blades.

In good conditions in light soil to chop up trash you can handle a 20' disk well.

Some of the big offset disks meant do do deep tillage will make it work hard at 12'.

You likely will do fine with a 12' or so regular old wheel disk. Some 18-20' models fold up the wings, so you can use it as a light disk at full width, or fold up & use the extra weight to rip into the ground deeper as a 10-12' disk.

Most allow you to adjust the angle of the blades. Most have worn blades, and small blades do not cut well. It pays to spend more for a disk with good blades. Should be close to 20" across. Walk away from anything at 16" or less - this will not cut up sod.

Also bearings like to wear out, check those closely. A long job to take a whole shaft apart to replace an inner bearing....

--->Paul

rambler, If I found the right deal on a disk that was worn out can't the bearings and disk be replaced rather inexpensively or is what I see a TSC not what I should plan on to rebuild a disk as it looks like I could rebuild a small disk for a couple of hundred bucks or less and some skin't up knuckles. I'd really only need one about 8' wide as I'd like to keep it to about the width of the tractor since its for food plots and many will be in amongst the trees in small clearings and I'd hate to have to go in and cut 12' or wider avenues through the live oaks to get a larger disk in even if my machine is capable of pulling it.
Steve

/ food plot implement needed #16  
I didn't realize you had a 90hp tractor, like has been said you shoul be abel to handle a 12' disk with ease. In trees though it may be touch, but ripping anything at any depth in an area with a lot of trees will most likely be difficult for waht you are wanting to do. Do you get alot of rain where you are, because trying to get a food plot ot grow around alot of trees will be difficult since the trees will likely suck the water up quickly.
I would think you can find a decent 8' disk if you look hard enough.

/ food plot implement needed #17  
A disc should be sufficient. You'd probably tear up something trying to subsoil in heavily rooted soil.

Well it took me a while to figure this out but I got my lesson handed to me on Monday. I was lightly subsoiling with my Boxblade rippers and hung on a root "ping" off goes a tooth cap on my ripper so now I'll get my wallet out and buy that disc as a rolling implement would certainly not of had this problem. I also got another lesson handed to me and my baby has its first good battle scar I was doing the push a deadish tree over to pick it up and carry it to the house for fire wood thing off comes a 8" across limb and now I've got an imprint of it in my hood about now I'm wishing I'd gotten the full rops cover as it could have just as easily been a 8" dent in my head. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Steve

/ food plot implement needed #19  
Consider yourself lucky on both counts. I've got a buddy with samr tractor as mine (50hp) that tore the lower link boss right off the rear with hung up boxblade. If you're to deal with much brush and trees, I'd also strongly reccomend a HD brush guard for front. A $400 lesson learned on grill replacement I'll pass on to you .

I ordered the 8'4" Hay King Disc(it weighs around a thousand lbs other companies make heavier disc but nothing close for the money it was around $1,400.) this morning it should be in on Tuesday I'll let ya'll know how it goes Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Steve