Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #181  
Corn beef and cabbage. I had to have lots of butter, salt/pepper to get it down.:)

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #182  
Blood sausage was really good, a cousin gave me a ring a couple years ago and we talked about how our mom’s would brown and then roast it….turned out great.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #183  
Chip beef with gravy and peas over toast.
This dish was one in my mom's rather-limited regular rotation, when I was growing up. As a kid, it absolutely repulsed me, couldn't stand it.

I do wonder what I'd think of it if I were to try it again today, but I'm guessing still gross.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #185  
Non homogenized, non pasturized whole milk.

"Finnish Coffee", grounds were thrown in the stove top percolator and boiled. When you thought the coffee was getting weak you would add more grounds and water and heat it again. Grounds would end up in the coffee cup. Every 4 days or so rinsed out the grounds and started a new pot.

We would then have the coffee on toast with a little whole milk. Add a little honey to the toast for flavor. Last time I had the toast this way was in the 1960's.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #186  
Cook up some hamburger meat and some mashed potatoes (the current microwave kind works easy) and mash them all together. Tastes great- add a little gravy or just plain. Can keep it in the refrigerator and just heat it up in the microwave or in the toaster oven (to get a little crispy browning).

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #187  
When I used to visit my uncle in London, milk was still delivered whole, in glass bottles (could even get it in the stores back in the 80's)
Every pub would server all their deserts with clotted cream, had to do something with it and not waste it.
Scooped right off the top when unlidding the bottle.

Getting a salad in the UK at the time meant lettuce and tomatoes on your sandwich.

Even into the late 90's, the salad bars at places I worked had mostly fried foods or stuff with Mayo.
Might have some lettuce just to look like they were trying.

Now in the UK you can get excellent food, but still have a fry up if you need a good cholesterol boost :cool:

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #188  
Pickled Ham Hocks, just found them online...

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #189  
In my hand, last night, Meijer in South Bend, IN.

I'm going to pick some up closer to Thanksgiving and try it with my family.

I'll bet they run as soon as I open the container. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 767948

My dad told me stories about taking this and rubbing it under people's drafting boards, chalk board ledges, etc. in the office back in the day...

I've never experienced the smell yet, but I'm definitely curious! lol

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #190  
Cook up some hamburger meat and some mashed potatoes (the current microwave kind works easy) and mash them all together. Tastes great- add a little gravy or just plain. Can keep it in the refrigerator and just heat it up in the microwave or in the toaster oven (to get a little crispy browning).
Back in elementary school...they called it "potato turbate"...

I can close my eyes and conjure up the smell of those yeast rolls that wafted throughout the school back in the day...!