Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #281  
We also had a fat jar by the wood stove. Mom would put bacon grease, etc., in there for future use

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #282  
Vending machines use to sell Butter Milk.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #283  
We also had a fat jar by the wood stove. Mom would put bacon grease, etc., in there for future use

Mom still does, she's 89 and old habits die hard. I keep whatever bacon grease we get from bacon and put it in small jars for her to cook with. She doesn't have 6 boys to feed any longer so she doesn't have much bacon to fry. Same crock she's had for many years.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #284  
Mom still does, she's 89 and old habits die hard. I keep whatever bacon grease we get from bacon and put it in small jars for her to cook with. She doesn't have 6 boys to feed any longer so she doesn't have much bacon to fry. Same crock she's had for many years.
We do this (keep bacon fat) though for the most part we don't cook with it.

Occasionally will fry an egg in it, or make refried beans with it; occasionally we mix with bird seed for a winter treat for the birds but most of the time it's just used to season cast iron.

(We usually make bacon in the oven any more - cookie sheet covered with a sheet of cooking parchment, lay out the bacon, another sheet of parchment; 400F for 15 minutes, flip the bacons, 10-15 minutes more and you've got perfectly done bacon and very little mess. Drain off the fat, toss the parchments into the fire.)

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #285  
We do this (keep bacon fat) though for the most part we don't cook with it.

Occasionally will fry an egg in it, or make refried beans with it; occasionally we mix with bird seed for a winter treat for the birds but most of the time it's just used to season cast iron.

(We usually make bacon in the oven any more - cookie sheet covered with a sheet of cooking parchment, lay out the bacon, another sheet of parchment; 400F for 15 minutes, flip the bacons, 10-15 minutes more and you've got perfectly done bacon and very little mess. Drain off the fat, toss the parchments into the fire.)
So, every once in a while . . . . bacon grease, bacon grease . . . . yum !

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #286  
Use the bacon grease on corn on the cob instead of butter. A little salt and pepper and you are in heaven.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #287  
Fresh-roasted mixed nuts. Grandma always had a bowl out, and I got into the same habit myself, a few years back. The grocery store still sells those classic bags of raw mixed nuts, and 20 minutes in the toaster oven makes both the house smell real nice, and gives a healthy treat. Even Brazil nuts can taste good, when warm and freshly roasted.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #288  
Beans, beans, the musical fruit, the more you eat, the more you toot...
... and the more you toot the better you feel. And therefore, I eat beans every meal.

:)

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #289  
When I was a kid, I thought milk came out of a red and white Carnation powdered milk box. Since my mother was British and came to the states after WWII, Shepards pie, potato cakes, blood pudding and salmon patties were common growing up at my house. Also, as far as my mother was concerned, the world stopped at around 2pm for tea. Very strong hot tea, lol.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #290  
My wife always wondered why her English/Irish parents buttered her bread for sandwiches.
Then she went to London......