For the Linux User's!!

/ For the Linux User's!! #1  

Holzster

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 HST
For the Linux User\'s!!

The group of us Lixus users out there is growing, A good thing because a competative marketplace a a VERY good thing. The reason I say this is I KNOW there are more Linux user out there besides me on this forum!!

I have 4 things for this post:

1. I have just installed the new (well month or 2 old) SUSE 10.0 Open Source (OSS SUSE), I was on Mandriva 2005 & Ubuntu 5.04 All I have to say is WOW!!!! This is a great version. And if anyone out there was wanting to try Linux for the first time I recomend this one!! If anyone was wanting to install it, let me know as I compliled a cheet sheet for things to install after the install (DVD support, flash, etc) the new YAST installer means everyone can install any of the hundreds of free programs out there with NO issues!!

Another cool thing is it is FREE!!! Just download it & install it.

Bad part - Why don't they just get over this thing they have with not putting DVD support inthere Distribution? Like I said it is easy to make your DVD player work though(5 or 6 mouse clicks).

I use the KDE desktop (I should start learning Gnome more) with the SUSE YAST Sytem Configuration Utility.

2. Reply back with what Distrobution you use ( Fedora, Ubuntu, etc) & the version.

3. What do you Like ~ Dislike about your Distobution?

4. What Desktop do you use for your Distro, KDE, Gnome, or ?

Here is a good link to learn about the different Distrebutions out there.

/ For the Linux User's!! #2  
Re: For the Linux User\'s!!

Uh... no link. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ For the Linux User's!! #4  

I've been a happy Linux user for about 10 years now. Things are so much better now than back in the old days! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'm a big fan of Debian and it's derivative distributions. I'm currently running Ubuntu 5.10 (Breezy Badger) on my HP Pavilion zv5120us laptop and an old 1.2 GHz Pentium desktop at home. These two machines, plus my kids' two WinXP desktops, make up my home wireless network (my wireless router (Linksys WRT54G) runs Linux, too /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif).

I got a little disinterested in KDE and Gnome a couple of years ago. Just got tired of the bloat. Used blackbox and/or fluxbox window manager for a while (these are great light weight window managers), then switched to XFCE. XFCE is an awesome window manager/desktop environment! It's much less resource intensive than KDE/Gnome, but still has eye candy. With my latest install of Ubuntu 5.10 (after running Debian Unstable for a couple of years), I've started using Gnome much more. It seems much less bloated and more stable than it was a couple of years ago. My wife is a KDE fan and runs it when she's logged in to either of the machines.

That's one of the beauties of Linux... CHOICE! My laptop has Gnome, KDE, XFCE, and fluxbox all installed as available choices when the user logs in. Personal preference dictates the environment used (as opposed to being forced to run Bill's choice).

I've never had any experience with YAST, but I can't imagine anything being better than the apt system in Debian. For those comfortable with the command line (like me), periodically doing </font><font color="blue" class="small">( apt-get update && apt-get upgrade )</font> keeps the system up-to-date and all of the installed packages upgraded. Doing</font><font color="blue" class="small">( apt-get install [package-name])</font> is all it takes to install new packages. And, Debian has one of the largest software repositories of any distribution (over 15,490 packages available for install!).

For those not so comfortable with the command line, Ubuntu does a good job of wrapping apt's functionality in an easy to use GUI interface. For a compromise between the power of apt from the command line and the simplicity of Ubuntu's update system, there's synaptic. Like Ubuntu's update system, synaptic provides a GUI frontend to apt, but is more flexible/powerful.

More and more people are realizing the value of choice. More and more people are tired of lining Bill's pockets when there are excellent (better, more secure, FREE) alternatives available. Linux is ready for Joe User and has been for a while.

Any other Linux users here?

Later,

BR

/ For the Linux User's!!

BR

APT is good - although to be honest I have not used it much - But try YAST as a test on an old box for a spin - a friend of mine that is a die hard Debian fan said that although he likes APT better YAST comes very close.

Never used Fluxbox - Is the Speed the reason you are using it? As I know KDE can get bloated - thats is why I strip it down ALOT!!

/ For the Linux User's!! #6  

I'm currently using Gnome most of the time (still run KDE/XFCE/fluxbox from time to time). And, yes, speed is the reason to run fluxbox. It's lean and fast, but very complete in functionality. Just not a lot of bells and whistles. Fluxbox and/or XFCE would be my choice on older, slower hardware.

I like Gnome and KDE, but am finding lately that Gnome just suits me better (used to use KDE a lot). On the other hand, my wife finds that KDE suits her better. And, that's cool. Choice is one of the tenets of OSS.

Later,

BR

/ For the Linux User's!! #7  

Holzster,

I just read Interview with Martin F. Krafft, Author of The Debian System. I may have to pick up his book. Sounds like a good one. One interview question that I found interesting was:

</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
How important is free software to the future of computing?

Free software enables alternatives which enable choice. Choice allows for a greater variety of usage patterns, and ultimately drives innovation in terms of breadth (people will be able to find and fill ecological niches of any size almost anywhere), and depth (the barrier of entry is low, thanks to global availability, low cost, and a wide variety of support options). Unless we want some company to tell us when we can watch which movie, what kind of application may be developed, or which Internet pages are deemed acceptable, free software ensures that we can fulfill needs in the future (and adjust to new requirements), rather than depending on a few players with mainly commercial interests influencing our preferences.
)</font>

That's about as clear an argument I've ever read concerning the importance of OSS and Free Software.

BR

/ For the Linux User's!! #8  

OK, I have a few questions............

Since all this software is free, how do these companies support themselves? Where do they get their earnings to stay in business and support their product?

Speaking of, how do they support their product? If you have a question, can you go to them for answers (in English, not geek-speak) or do you have to go to a support forum or something?

And, will they still be in business in 2, or 5 years?

Other than cost, are there other reasons why you choose this over Bill's Best? Does it do things easier or better, and if so how/why?

I'm not putting them down, I'm just trying to learn.......

/ For the Linux User's!! #9  

I use a wide variety of O/S's in virtual desktops.

One of my favorites is knoppix.

Hug a Penguin today!

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The cool thing is it doesn't have to be installed on your computer!

/ For the Linux User's!! #10  

Knoppix is another one of those Debian derivatives. It's an awesome project and I try to keep a Knoppix CD with me at all times just in case I need to really use a computer that doesn't have a good OS on it.

BR