For those of you that practice open-burning of leaves/brush..

/ For those of you that practice open-burning of leaves/brush.. #1  

JTMachineDesign

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS MT125 TLB
Forgive me if this isn't 100% LS Tractor related - but I see many posts where folks are using their tractors in concert with gathering and burning debris so...

I'm California born and raised (ya, I know, I don't like it either but..). Here in most of the state it's totally illegal to open burn anything larger than a joint. You can ask for a permit and they *might* grant you one IF you basically hire the fire department to circle the pile with hoses on the ready and post a bond to cover any unintentional outcomes. Chipping, mulching and composting are the game here.. even pretty much all landfills allow plant matter for free and they chip/compost. We've been able to make a very productive home garden using compost to improve the horrible high-desert sandy soil.. anything too big to chip gets cut and stacked for future fires - indoors in airtight catalytic-converted spark arrested certified wood-stoves - (Can you believe many counties now only allow video screens of fires instead of fireplaces in new home construction??)
anyway...
isnt that huge burning mess and resulting burned pile of ashes a pain to deal with? how do you deal with it, if at all?

/ For those of you that practice open-burning of leaves/brush.. #2  
I live in Missouri. I burn 2x year all the yard waste stuff that happens on our 80 acres - dead trees, bushes, low branches, leaves gathered from the yard, trail areas cleared, etc. Pretty big piles.

The pile burns hard for about and hour then smolders for the rest of the day. At the end there is just a pile of ashes.

I never do anything with the ashes. They either blow away or decompose - I can’t really tell. I use the same place all the time for burning.

MoKelly

/ For those of you that practice open-burning of leaves/brush.. #3  
Ive burned trees and brush for many years. Ashes are never an issue. That being said, due to the fact that i live in 20 acres of trees i was always scared of starting a fire. Years ago i purchased a pto chipper and that is what i use within the trees. Works fast and produces a nice base for my trails. I still burn in open areas, but not as often.

Its actually not too much slower chipping than burning. When you burn within a forested area you end up having to haul trees and branches out to burn area anyways. I bring the chipper to the trees.

/ For those of you that practice open-burning of leaves/brush.. #4  
I use the ashes to fill holes left by rotted stump holes.

/ For those of you that practice open-burning of leaves/brush.. #5  
There’s no fire danger here and I haul in loads like this and burn them all the time. Once the ashes get to big I’ll lose them on the truck and dump them in a low spot. IMG_8704.JPGIMG_8717.JPG

/ For those of you that practice open-burning of leaves/brush.. #6  
Wisconsin is much different than California.
Around here getting a burning permit is fairly easy but they definitely control what you can legally burn. Someone told me that when the ground is covered with snow you don’t need a burning permit but I’ve never actually checked to find out if that’s actually true.

/ For those of you that practice open-burning of leaves/brush.. #7  
here in north idaho the permit is free, and done online. only limited in dry, hot time of year.

/ For those of you that practice open-burning of leaves/brush.. #8  
If it's been really dry, the county will issue a burn ban for brush; Otherwise, all they ask is you notify the County Fire & Rescue of your intent. That's to keep them from dispatching units if someone calls about it. Burning in a barrel is allowed all the time without notice or restriction. That's how most folks out here get rid of paper trash. For barrel ashes, I simply strap the barrel on a FEL and go dump it on cactus. :cool: Hasn't killed any of it yet.

/ For those of you that practice open-burning of leaves/brush.. #9  
Here in Michigan, a burn permit is required but it's free. I usually burn once a year when I just get too big a pile of limbs etc. When I'm done, I level whats left with the loader and the weeds and grass grow right over it.

/ For those of you that practice open-burning of leaves/brush.. #10  
Just one of the many multitudes of reasons I don't live in certain places. I can pretty much do whatever I want, whenever I want as long as it doesn't bother anyone else directly. I can burn twelve months a year without any prior notice to anyone. I have to use great caution though. No windy days, make sure it stays clear of loose debris and grassy or wooded areas. Ash gets spread around and works back into the soil over time. I've had burn areas completely regrown nice green grass over the summer.

I'm as concerned about scorching paint as anything else, but one things spooked me during the last burn. I got concerned about a hydraulic hose suddenly letting go and spewing hot oil all over the fire area. Didn't happen, but .....