For those that hate the treadle pedal on Kubota

/ For those that hate the treadle pedal on Kubota #51  
I'm impressed with the mod but like some others I have not only gotten accustomed to the pedal on my L2501, I actually like it and wouldn't change it to a two pedal system if I could.

I feel the same way. At first I liked the two pedal system, but that has a real disadvantage for us bigfoots who can hit the wrong pedal or worse yet hit both at the same time. With a treadle it is impossible to engage fwd & rev. simultaneously. And that's good.

I have no idea how people use the heel of their foot to move the treadle in reverse. The way I use the treadle is that my heel stays on the floor and I slide my foot so as to use my toe on either the fwd or rev. part of the treadle.

Not sure how to interpret the comment about not using brakes and HST at the same time. I use both at the same time a lot when working on a side slope, or in close to a wall, or anytime it helps to steer with the brakes.

I gotta say that steering with the brakes is a bit weird with both brake pedals on the right side next to the HST treadle. Using the brakes requires either sitting sideways in the seat with both legs to the right of the steering column or growing a second right leg. Why in the world Kubota doesn't just put the brakes over on the left with the clutch like the rest of the world is a mystery. Maybe they really don't want us to use the HST and brakes at the same time.....
Although in that case they could have simply have said something in the manual.

I used to go to great lengths to modify mechanical things to fit my own preferences. But anymore I just accept them.
rScotty

/ For those that hate the treadle pedal on Kubota #52  
The OP's modification is very nice. I'm sure it works well for him and will probably do well for others that may copy it.

Here is a video of me in my 2 Kubota tractors showing how I use the treadle pedal and some of my thoughts on them. Enjoy....

YouTube

/ For those that hate the treadle pedal on Kubota #53  
I feel the same way. At first I liked the two pedal system, but that has a real disadvantage for us bigfoots who can hit the wrong pedal or worse yet hit both at the same time. With a treadle it is impossible to engage fwd & rev. simultaneously. And that's good.

I have no idea how people use the heel of their foot to move the treadle in reverse. The way I use the treadle is that my heel stays on the floor and I slide my foot so as to use my toe on either the fwd or rev. part of the treadle.

Not sure how to interpret the comment about not using brakes and HST at the same time. I use both at the same time a lot when working on a side slope, or in close to a wall, or anytime it helps to steer with the brakes.

I gotta say that steering with the brakes is a bit weird with both brake pedals on the right side next to the HST treadle. Using the brakes requires either sitting sideways in the seat with both legs to the right of the steering column or growing a second right leg. Why in the world Kubota doesn't just put the brakes over on the left with the clutch like the rest of the world is a mystery. Maybe they really don't want us to use the HST and brakes at the same time.....
Although in that case they could have simply have said something in the manual.

I used to go to great lengths to modify mechanical things to fit my own preferences. But anymore I just accept them.
rScotty

Same. I prefer the treadle to 2 pedals. But that's some quality craftsmanship to copy for those that don't agree.

Amusingly I rarely if ever have used my toe to lift the go pedal. I put my toe on the floor & push on the back with my heel. Trying to remember if the pedal on my old L3200 had the bit that stick out & was conducive to lifting with your toe or not. At any rate I'm sure that's how I started doing it, so just like tredal vs 2 pedals for most people that's what I prefer just because I've always done it.

The economy Kubotas (including my former L3200) have a clutch on the left & brakes on the right. In order to use steering brakes, you have to ride side saddle. Annoying for short usage, but doable. The 60 series Grands, on the HSTs at least have brakes on the left & no clutch. I assume the logic on the economy machines relates to using the same setup for HST & geared transmissions. You may need both feet for brakes & clutch in a hurry before you could contort into the side saddle position.

/ For those that hate the treadle pedal on Kubota #54  
Thx for video but my 2019 mx5800 is a little different.

First, hst trans and brakes on left

Second...my treadle pedal is a slightly different shape but.......

The biggest difference is that you can move your foot back far enough to use your toe for rev. On mine, the rear end of the pedal is, imho, too close to the back wall of the seating area.

Many times I find myself trying to push down with my heel only to realize my heel is jammed into the back wall. Like most of you I guess, I wear big bad work boots, hard to feel anything. When my heel finally slips and I hit the rev full force with that tractor at 1800-2000, holy moly. It will scare the poop out of you! I find it dangerous.

Just as soon as I get my house/shop built I知 changing.

/ For those that hate the treadle pedal on Kubota
The OP's modification is very nice. I'm sure it works well for him and will probably do well for others that may copy it.

Here is a video of me in my 2 Kubota tractors showing how I use the treadle pedal and some of my thoughts on them. Enjoy....

YouTube
My treadle was very different than yours. If mine were like the one you have I may have never converted it.

/ For those that hate the treadle pedal on Kubota #56  
Thx for video but my 2019 mx5800 is a little differentging.

My treadle was very different than yours. If mine were like the one you have I may have never converted it.

I suspected that Kubota had several different style pedals. Mine both seem to work well and are comfortable for me to use. But, many others have posted their complaints about Kubota treadle pedals. That's why I wanted to add the video. So that others can see and compare to what they have.

/ For those that hate the treadle pedal on Kubota #57  
I guess its old Ford or Chevrolet thing.... and I am fine with that.
Sometimes its what you first learn on old habits are hard to change.
Thanks for all the kind words, I pride myself on doing nice work. But sometimes I take forever to get it done.
Here is a photo of the back side.View attachment 662187

I definitely prefer 2 pedals.. I almost didn't order the Kubota MX 5400 last month because of the treadle pedal.. I am trading out of an older New Holland TC 45D and once I got the 2 pedal design I struggled with going back to the single pedal. the Equine discount for me was the decision maker and so I pulled the trigger on the Kubota. I would definetly purchase that mod shown above that true temper did if he decides to sell if to people.

/ For those that hate the treadle pedal on Kubota #58  
After having both I've found when turning body to see to backing up the treadle petal much more convenient in reverse. This conversion design operation looks looks awkward when turning body to see in reverse.

Last edited:
   / For those that hate the treadle pedal on Kubota #59  
I really like the treadle pedal on my L3901. From day one, it has always seemed very natural and was quickly second nature to me.

/ For those that hate the treadle pedal on Kubota #60  
A friend has a bum ankle so he can't use the treadle pedal.

What he did is weld a 1/2" pipe nipple onto the treadle and he screws in a short pipe so that he can operate the treadle by hand.
(Well actually it's a broomstick that has a pipe end, probably a bit safer as wood would snap in an emergency situation.)

And he has put close to 1000 hrs with his mod.