Forax GP40 Forestry Mulcher

/ Forax GP40 Forestry Mulcher #1  

mcole

Tractor
JD 2840, JD 770, JD LT130
I originally posted this on the attachment group and someone suggested to post it here to be more on topic...

Anyone have any experience with the Forax GP40 Forestry Mulcher? It is a flail type mower/mulcher that runs off of it's own gas powered 40hp motor. It mounts to the front loader with options for quick attach, front loader bucket clamps, and some other specific mounts. I was wondering how they hold up over time and hard use and if it is worth the money. The videos are pretty impressive for something this size.

Forax GP40 Gas Powered Mulcher Tractor Attachment -
Forax GP40 Gas Powered Mulcher Tractor Attachment - YouTube

Thanks!
Mark

/ Forax GP40 Forestry Mulcher #2  
I emailed the company for pricing, etc. I'll post up if I hear back.

I think that Forex has been around a while. If you watch the video of the GP40 on both the tractor loader and the UTV, they are moving REALLY slow with it. Nothing like watching a forestry mulcher / Fecon machine move around. Forex has another video with one of their hydraulically powered machines on the front loader of a 50hp Kubota. They run it pretty slow as well.

I'm sure this little GP40 has its limitations but it could be a nice little homeowner machine. Depending on price, I might take a deeper look at it. But I'd like to see how close it can "cut" as that's hard to see in the videos. I'd want something that didn't leave little "punji sticks" like my brush hogs do.

Are you the "Mark" that also asked for pricing and specs on Forex's Facebook page?

/ Forax GP40 Forestry Mulcher
I emailed the company for pricing, etc. I'll post up if I hear back.

I think that Forex has been around a while. If you watch the video of the GP40 on both the tractor loader and the UTV, they are moving REALLY slow with it. Nothing like watching a forestry mulcher / Fecon machine move around. Forex has another video with one of their hydraulically powered machines on the front loader of a 50hp Kubota. They run it pretty slow as well.

I'm sure this little GP40 has its limitations but it could be a nice little homeowner machine. Depending on price, I might take a deeper look at it. But I'd like to see how close it can "cut" as that's hard to see in the videos. I'd want something that didn't leave little "punji sticks" like my brush hogs do.

Are you the "Mark" that also asked for pricing and specs on Forex's Facebook page?

Same Mark. They quoted $6500 plus freight and taxes. They have been very responsive in answering my questions. They offered a number of options for attachments to a front loader or bucket clamps. I think those options add to the price. I was thinking the same thing about a homeowner machine. Depending on the way it attaches I could use it on my JD 2840 or my CUT JD 770for tighter areas. I was mostly interested because let my pastures get overgrown over the last few years. I started doing some clearing with my bush hog but the punji sticks left over really bother me and I worry about going back over with a follow on cut and ruining my tires.

/ Forax GP40 Forestry Mulcher #4  
I just heard back from them. You are correct - the attachment option adds to the price. In my case, a JDQA attachment bracket adds $750 to the price. I didn't have them give me a shipping quote, but he did give me a rough idea from another customer, so I figure about $650 to ship it. So, all in all, I'd be looking at $7900 for the machine. Not sure I can swing that.

I got a quote of $4100 from a guy with a forestry mulcher to clear about 3-4 acres of my property. He figured roughly 2 days of his time to do the job.

Assuming my lottery numbers don't hit tonight, I'll probably just keep doing what I'm doing with my saw, chipper and brush hog! :laughing:

/ Forax GP40 Forestry Mulcher
I just heard back from them. You are correct - the attachment option adds to the price. In my case, a JDQA attachment bracket adds $750 to the price. I didn't have them give me a shipping quote, but he did give me a rough idea from another customer, so I figure about $650 to ship it. So, all in all, I'd be looking at $7900 for the machine. Not sure I can swing that.

I got a quote of $4100 from a guy with a forestry mulcher to clear about 3-4 acres of my property. He figured roughly 2 days of his time to do the job.

Assuming my lottery numbers don't hit tonight, I'll probably just keep doing what I'm doing with my saw, chipper and brush hog! :laughing:

Thank you for sharing the info you got. I am in the same boat. I am having trouble justifying the price. I am just truckin' along with the same plan... Bush hog, chainsaw, and pulling what I can with chains. Unless I come across some money I didn't know I had :laughing:

/ Forax GP40 Forestry Mulcher #6  
This is why hiring it out for the first cut saves my customers money. That machine is totally inefficient. I can not imagine spending that kind of money quoted above for such poor performance. My smallest machine (140 hp) would eat that first tree within 10 seconds. A solid field of trees that large: 10-18 acres+ a day with my big rubber tire machine (365 hp) provided they are all softwoods and relatively flat terrain.

Save your money and hire out the first cut to a clearing contractor. Keep it bush hogged after that. No major investment, no repairs, no injuries, no learning curve....just a difficult job done cost effectively.

A fixed tooth mulcher head will leave some shattered stubble that will be less dangerous than bush hog pungi sticks. I drive over all of my job sites with trucks, tractors and even motorcycle tires without any problems.

/ Forax GP40 Forestry Mulcher #7  
This is why hiring it out for the first cut saves my customers money. That machine is totally inefficient. I can not imagine spending that kind of money quoted above for such poor performance. My smallest machine (140 hp) would eat that first tree within 10 seconds. A solid field of trees that large: 10-18 acres+ a day with my big rubber tire machine (365 hp) provided they are all softwoods and relatively flat terrain.

Save your money and hire out the first cut to a clearing contractor. Keep it bush hogged after that. No major investment, no repairs, no injuries, no learning curve....just a difficult job done cost effectively.

A fixed tooth mulcher head will leave some shattered stubble that will be less dangerous than bush hog pungi sticks. I drive over all of my job sites with trucks, tractors and even motorcycle tires without any problems.

That's your answer:spent ten years and a lot of money/hours trying to clear my 100 acres;mulcher did more in four days than I did with a saw,bush-hog and 100 HP tractors with HD bush hogs.

/ Forax GP40 Forestry Mulcher #8  
Treemuncher is right - probably the best bang for the buck is to hire it done.

That GP40 machine does look SLOW!!! WAY TOO SLOW!!! It it was somewhere around $2500 - $3000, I'd give it some serious consideration. I can handle slow - but not for $8,000!! :laughing: