Ford 1210 vs Ford 1700

/ Ford 1210 vs Ford 1700 #21  
Ford 1700 is one heck of a tractor, perfect in tight spaces. It is my to go tractor except when I need loader work and picking up very heavy stuff. Easy to maintain. Mine was one owner and well kept. I have it for 20 years now and it is the best $3200 I ever spent. I made the boom out of some demoed SCH 40 pipes after one of my projects
DSC00340.JPG
DSC04270.JPG
DSC05098.JPG

/ Ford 1210 vs Ford 1700 #22  
I have a ton of info on Ford forum if you would like to research it further. 3 to 4k is good price specially nowadays.

JC
Hey so I would like your guys' opinion. Is the Ford 1700 assuming it runs good and the many implements he has worth $3,000-4,000k? I

/ Ford 1210 vs Ford 1700
I have a ton of info on Ford forum if you would like to research it further. 3 to 4k is good price specially nowadays.

JC
Yeah it looks like you have resolved a lot of problems with it over the years. So I would like to have a first tractor. So this tractor has "two ranges", can someone send me a tutorial on what that means? Is it like high and low gear? I noticed it is not like the 1210 that you can put in high or low.

/ Ford 1210 vs Ford 1700 #24  
Yeah it looks like you have resolved a lot of problems with it over the years. So I would like to have a firstut tractor. So this tractor has "two ranges", can someone send me a tutorial on what that means? Is it like high and low gear? I noticed it is not like the 1210 that you can put in high or low.
In general, you have forward and reverse in manual shift transmission. Mainly on older vintages gears are not synchronized meaning you have to come to full stop clutch and change. There is no mechanical synchronizers to avoid grinding meshing gears. Some might say they can feel the engine rpm, let go of accelerator pedal and shift on the fly which is doable but not at all recommended. If you have 2 ranges and 4 forward speed then you have 2x4=8 forward speed and reverse speed mainly corresponds with # of ranges. in essence range 1 , gear 1 affords you the slowest but most grunt or torque. Range 2 , gear 4 would afford you speed of 8, basically fastest for road travel but not suitable for bumpy farm land. Tractors are low geared so they have much torque. I like to do it nice and easy so range 2x gear 3 affords me a very comfortable and controllable speed. in HST transmission you can get more grunt with low range and low speed (turtle ) just the same. Below is the pic of non-synchronized transmission. On my Kubota 3rd and 4th gears are synchronized so on the fly I can clutch and up shift and downshift without damaging anything. I regulate my speed mainly just stetting the rpm to what I want , say 1200 and just play with gas pedal for the speed i feel comfortable. if I am brush hogging big field then I go 3x3 and go to town going forward in circles or square without changing my direction (direction hear means forward or reverse only), turning right of left is not direction change. Below is innards of my non synchronized Ford 1700 transmission.

DSC08082.JPG
DSC08083.JPG

/ Ford 1210 vs Ford 1700
Hey guys so I got to go over and look at the tractor yesterday. He has a lot of implements that come with it. I did notice that the tractor has about 2,200 hours on it though. I know that is normal for a lot of diesel tractors that are nearing a half century old but that is still a lot of hours.

/ Ford 1210 vs Ford 1700 #26  
Hey guys so I got to go over and look at the tractor yesterday. He has a lot of implements that come with it. I did notice that the tractor has about 2,200 hours on it though. I know that is normal for a lot of diesel tractors that are nearing a half century old but that is still a lot of hours.
That's about 1 year of full time use (40 hours / week). Pull the oil fill cap with the engine running and feel for air escaping. If it's low to non existent, buy it. Depending on the implements, you aren't paying much at all for the tractor.

/ Ford 1210 vs Ford 1700 #27  
My John Deere 2555 had over 7500 hours on it when the guage broke and it is still running fine!
David from jax

/ Ford 1210 vs Ford 1700
My John Deere 2555 had over 7500 hours on it when the guage broke and it is still running fine!
David from jax
lol I just guess to a gasoline guy like me that seems like a lot of hours. I was looking on Tractor House and could not find one over 3,000 hours. So I figured that was a lot of hours.

/ Ford 1210 vs Ford 1700
That's about 1 year of full time use (40 hours / week). Pull the oil fill cap with the engine running and feel for air escaping. If it's low to non existent, buy it. Depending on the implements, you aren't paying much at all for the tractor.

So I have never felt over an engine oil cap for air escaping. So I'm not sure what I would be looking for.

/ Ford 1210 vs Ford 1700 #30  
So I have never felt over an engine oil cap for air escaping. So I'm not sure what I would be looking for.
Cylinder blow-by which is compressed air-fuel mixture escaping past the piston rings will create pressure in the crankcase. Since the crankcase is a closed system it's gotta escape from somewhere which is your crankcase vent usually in your valve cover. When you open the oil fill cap you are creating a large opening for that pressure to escape. So you are looking to feel air blowing out of the oil fill cap hole. A small amount is normal, but if you're getting a steady breeze blowing out of there the rings are likely pretty worn and nearing rebuild time