Ford 1300 4x4 not working

/ Ford 1300 4x4 not working #1  

Ster1

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi
Hi folks,
I'm working on a Ford 1300 4x4. The front axle isn't engaging. I've worked on 4x4 tractors before, and the front driveline is usually pretty straightforward, just gears and shafts with some type of engaging mechanism, usually at the trans. Can anyone tell me, is this machine similar? By that, I mean there's no sprags or one way clutches or anything like that in the front driveline? The front wheels, axle, diff, drive shaft are all a full time, simple connection, with some sort of engaging mechanism in the trans?

The reason I'm asking is I raised the tractor yesterday to check it out, and the rears drive just fine, and the fronts don't. When I spin the fronts by hand, I hear / feel alot of clicking and clunking in there. If there's no sprags or anything like that in there, I've got some bigger problems. Thanks for any help here!

/ Ford 1300 4x4 not working
Sorry for the double post!

/ Ford 1300 4x4 not working #3  
So you're quite sure the problem is not in the shaft and/or couplings between the transmission and front axle? You have opened that up and confirmed that all shafts, couplings, etc are rotating together as they should?

The noise you hear seems to be coming from the center housing or one of the spindle housings?

/ Ford 1300 4x4 not working #4  
Probably the splines inside one of the driveline couplers. Have seen it happen a number of times.

I’m sure :)

Attachments

• IMG_0199.jpeg
    IMG_0199.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
   / Ford 1300 4x4 not working #6  
From the picture, I don't see an issue. The spline you see here is where the axle shaft fits into the differential assembly. What I was referring to is the sleeve coupler on the driveshaft itself. There are 2 with internal splines. The coupler is about 2" long. Look at item #28 in this picture.

/ Ford 1300 4x4 not working #7  
I see a bunch of chewed up teeth in the photo.