Ford 1620 or go newer

/ Ford 1620 or go newer #1  

nrbocke

Bronze Member
Hi everyone-
Earlier this week I posted about needing to start over with something to mow my yard (about 1/2 acre), take care of pasture (about 5 acres), take care of about 200 ft driveway, snow removal, and misc things that pop up. After a lot of good suggestions I decided to just go with a separate mower for the yard and possibly buy a CUT if I can find a good deal or if my existing 8N is damaged more than I think.

I found a 1995 Ford 1620 that caught my eye at a place about 40 miles away that fixes up tractors. I haven't had a day off to go look at it but it looks brand new in pictures (guessing it was repainted). It has 700 hours, has front wheel drive, with a Ford loader. They are asking $10,000? Curious if this is a good price and a good tractor for my needs? I can't find a similar tractor to compare right now. Everything has way more hours or different attachments. Tried taking a look at parts and seemed like still a lot available. The reviews I've read seem really good but they are minimal. Really like that it is HST.

Also not sure if I should spend extra and go new. I've never operated anything but my 8N so even if the 1620 is missing some features of the new tractors I won't miss it. This same dealer also sells LS and he just has posted a new JX 2025 (looks like lighter tractor than the Ford though) for less that $15000. Or go up to a XR3135H for less than $24000. I was originally going to start by looking at Kubota since closest dealer. Interested in anything from the L family. Not sure sizing yet or prices. I'm thinking realistically probably a l2501 or l3301.

What's everyone's thoughts on the Ford 1620 at $10,000 or stepping up to something new?

Thanks!!!!

/ Ford 1620 or go newer #2  
Based on some internet searches it looks like the 1620 is equipped with a 7108 loader. Other posts on TBN indicate it has a lift capacity of 900 lbs.

Based on FEL and 3pt lift capacity and bare tractor weight, comparable newer tractors would be a Kioti CK2510, Kubota L2500, JD 3025E, or NH Boomer 24. Although that one is lighter by 400 lbs. Looking at auction results on TractorHouse it seems that most of those units with a loader sell for more than $10K. With the MFWD I think the Ford is on the high end of a fair price. But if it is in good condition and meets your needs then consider offering what you're willing to pay.

/ Ford 1620 or go newer #3  
Based on some internet searches it looks like the 1620 is equipped with a 7108 loader. Other posts on TBN indicate it has a lift capacity of 900 lbs.

Based on FEL and 3pt lift capacity and bare tractor weight, comparable newer tractors would be a Kioti CK2510, Kubota L2500, JD 3025E, or NH Boomer 24. Although that one is lighter by 400 lbs. Looking at auction results on TractorHouse it seems that most of those units with a loader sell for more than $10K. With the MFWD I think the Ford is on the high end of a fair price. But if it is in good condition and meets your needs then consider offering what you're willing to pay.

With 700 hours, it is possible that a 1994 Ford 1620 may not have been repainted.
I bought a 1988 Ford 1920 4x4 two years ago with 1056 hours for $9500.
Unfortunately I had to do more fixing (money) than I had originally thought, with the end result being that I do have more money in the tractor than I probably should.
My 1920 sure looks like new now though!
That said: It is heavier (that is GOOD) than a new tractor of comparable size, it has no plastic parts, and it has a very simple/straightforward 4 cyl. Shibaura diesel, with absolutely no electronic garbage. No tier IV...no DEF!
I could have bought a new tractor for cash!
Lots of wiz bang gadgetry, but I did not like what I saw in the new tractor marketplace!
I guess I am just an old guy with old stuff!
I have a 21 year old Mercedes E-320 that I drive each winter in Florida.
It to still looks, and runs like new,..... because I keep it that way.

/ Ford 1620 or go newer
Thanks. I also agree that getting away from electronics and tier 4 is a good thing! I'm a little concerned though that this will be my 1st experience with diesel of any kind. So a little nervous about no warranty.
Would you say the repairs needed on your 1920 were due to common issues or something I need to look out for?
Does anyone else think the price difference between the new LS and this Ford is to close not to go new? Or are these 2 tractors apples and oranges? Don't know how much more heavier Kubota would cost. I would say l2501 is pretty close to this Ford. Is that a pretty direct comparison? Anyone H have a ballpark for one with loader?

Thanks!!!

/ Ford 1620 or go newer #5  
A campground I used to do work for had a 1620. I ran it a few times, seemed like a real nice tractor. I know they had it long time. One thing for sure on any of the Japanese- Shibaura / Fords is check carefully where the loader bolts onto the block, with rough use theses bolts may be loose or missing. In general, these Fords are very reliable and well built. The thing with compact tractors is that they hold their value much better than vehicles, being said, $10,000 in your case sounds about right to me.

/ Ford 1620 or go newer #6  
Thanks. I also agree that getting away from electronics and tier 4 is a good thing! I'm a little concerned though that this will be my 1st experience with diesel of any kind. So a little nervous about no warranty.
Would you say the repairs needed on your 1920 were due to common issues or something I need to look out for?
Does anyone else think the price difference between the new LS and this Ford is to close not to go new? Or are these 2 tractors apples and oranges? Don't know how much more heavier Kubota would cost. I would say l2501 is pretty close to this Ford. Is that a pretty direct comparison? Anyone H have a ballpark for one with loader?

Thanks!!!

Sorry: I do not feel even close to being qualified to make a meaningful new tractor comparison.
There are lots of folks here on TBN who seem to be very happy with their LS tractors, and lots also are very happy with the Kubotas, Kiotis, and the Mahindras.
It would seem to me that you should check each of them out IN PERSON, at their respective dealerships, and get a chance to drive them around a bit, even if that is only a brief bit.
One particular caution!
Buy a tractor that is properly sized to meet all your potential future needs!!!
You don't need to buy a monster, but maybe buy one that is at least one size up from what you THINK you need.
There is absolutely no reason to be fearful of a diesel engine.
The electronic controls, and anti pollution equipment..... that is a different subject however.
As for warranty: I have had an 8N Ford for 46 years (bought it @ 20 years old), I have had a Ford 3400TLB for 30 years (bought it @16 years old), and now I have had my Ford 1920 for 2 years (bought it @ 28 years old).
I have NEVER had any repairs that would have required dealer work on any of them!

/ Ford 1620 or go newer #7  
It sounds like test drives are in order. The ergonomics/operator comfort have continued to improve. See what you think about the differences between the new LS and the older Ford. That said those Ford/Shibaura tractors were well made,

/ Ford 1620 or go newer #8  
I like the Shibaura Fords. 10 grand seems a little on the high side unless it is all original with good hoses and good tires. A repainted tractor of that age and hours will likely have rotted tires and hoses. It's all about the in person inspection.

Don't fear the diesels at all. Mine have been as reliable and trouble free as the fuel injected gas engines in my automobiles.

/ Ford 1620 or go newer
Thanks everyone. I'm excited to start looking. Holding off a little bit due to work and my building is scheduled to start reconstruction in a couple weeks. I know all the tractors sit outside at the dealers but I'm not leaving mine outside!!! :)
I was just wondering-even if I get to test drive I doubt I get to d do to many practical tasks. While I know the Ford is heavier built will it actually be more or less "powerful" for the same HP as the newer tractors? I noticed from above the loader limit isn't as high as the newer models. Like is there a torque comparison? In my limited understanding that's alot better number to know than HP.

/ Ford 1620 or go newer #10  
Power is power within reason - old or new. Should not see a difference with an older healthy engine versus new. The main difference will be in weight and stability. Typically the older tractors are heavier and, thus, more stable.