Ford 1700 head bolt torque

/ Ford 1700 head bolt torque #1  

geozeitl

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1700
Is there a spec for the head bolt that goes into the block on the 1700. I know the nuts get torqued to 107 lbs but what about the bolts into the head.

/ Ford 1700 head bolt torque #2  
Is there a spec for the head bolt that goes into the block on the 1700. I know the nuts get torqued to 107 lbs but what about the bolts into the head.
1635098014912.png

/ Ford 1700 head bolt torque
Thanks JC , is that the bolt torque that screws into the block or the nut torque

/ Ford 1700 head bolt torque #4  
Thanks JC , is that the bolt torque that screws into the block or the nut torque
My manual does not say it very clearly,but I think it must be for the 6 nuts @ 111-115 ft-lbs. The studs are screwed in tight, does not say what torque for them but once you cinch down on the nuts it keeps the studs in tension even if they are not very tight. it is difficult to grab the studs without scuffing up to high torque of 115 ft lbs . It is the nuts that you would torque in the criss cross pattern as they showed. Then the head cover is installed and that really just need to be tight. I have taken the cover off to check the valve last adjustment and doubt if I even had 35 ft lbs ion the two nuts that hold head cover down.

103_5392.JPG

103_5399.JPG

103_5402.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you for the info, l just turned them in tight, l have it all back together and will try it tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes. My service manual is pretty bland. I removed the front end loader to remove the engine, My manual doesn't say but how do l get the hydraulic pump primed. Sounds like your manual is more in depth than mine

/ Ford 1700 head bolt torque #6  
You are welcome. My manual is plane Jane IT-FO44. The manufacturer's WSM would be much better like I have for my kubota. There is no instruction on how to prime the pump as there is not a fitting on the suction side that you can open and fill the pump inlet and pipe. If the pump has a good oil film on the gears and is not out of specs it should be able to self prime. if you have difficulty then take the banjo off the suction, or the larger dia pipe and inject some oil with some squeeze bottle with a small hose till it fills up. Just by inspection and normal oil level in the transmission you can observe that pump inlet just slightly higher than normal oil level in transmission and diffy housing so not much lift is necessary , specially for positive displacement gear pump.

Last edited:
Will give it a shot, let you know how things turn out

Hey JC, all went well today after a couple of cranks it turned right over, boy it sounds nice thanks for your advice on this post and many previous ones

Attachments

• 20211025_195818.jpg
    20211025_195818.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 75
   / Ford 1700 head bolt torque #9  
Hey JC, all went well today after a couple of cranks it turned right over, boy it sounds nice thanks for your advice on this post and many previous ones
Awesome Geo, glad to hear that and she does look good. I wondered if that is 1980 or 1981 model. Noticed a bracket next to the steering rod. is that a loader bracket? She'll serve you well, great lil working mule!!:)

Yes it is, getting it back on today