FORD 1700 NEW HEAD INSTALLED

/ FORD 1700 NEW HEAD INSTALLED #21  
Happy Friday, sorry for the long delay. Having issues getting my password renewed on here and was ready to pull my hair out. Well, pulled the head off and found another crack at the the precombustion chamber. Like I said before, only ran it for a total of 40 minutes and it was not overheated. Also previous when I did the leak down test had a lot of air coming out of the air intake. I took it back to the machinist that reground the valves. The next day he called and said the intake valve holes were a slight oval shape, how did that happen? Turns out he or someone never did a pressure test on it after the reseating of the valves to check for leakage. He really apologized and reseated the valves and tested it, all good and why me? I sent the head back to the company that did the welding on it for the crack repair. at least it had a six month warranty on their work. I did not hear back from them yet. One thing I did notice, when removing the injectors they were lose. I know they were tight when I put them in with that copper washer. Is their a torque spec for them, my manual doesn't say anything. Looking for any ideas why it would crack again and why the injectors would be lose. Have some pics of the new cracks, notice all the carbon on the pistons and in the cylinders. Thanks again for all your insight

So sorry for the all the headache you are having.

1- I wondered if the crack is old or newly developed after you ran the engine.
2- How do the fix the crack? d they grind some bevel to get weld penetration? How deep do they go?
3- valve leakage was something I suspected but again why you??? if the valves ans seat get ground up too much and lose geometry then can they still seal? that would effect lash adjustment but by how much? ask that from them to see what they suggest? perhaps some thin washer under the valve spring to make the difference? I just making the this out of thin air but know the lash adjustment will be effected.
4- My injectors were really tight one time I was just curious and then I said to myself " what's a matter you!" don't try to fix if it ain't broken. will research that for you to see if I can find a reference in my manual.
5- a lot of soot means very rich combustion, check the oil bath air filter and intake manifold while you have them open.

well, buddy, may the force be with you, we're a bunch of stubborn folks if nothing else. Good luck in the next go around. I hope you can salvage the head gasket as it does not look damaged bad from the picture.

JC

/ FORD 1700 NEW HEAD INSTALLED
I am stubborn and it may not be a good thing. I sent it to a place in lowa, Midwest Cylinder Head. They have a process called furnace welding. I did buy a new gasket, not sure if the old one would be to compressed Not sure about the injectors though, if you find something out give me a shout. Thanks again

/ FORD 1700 NEW HEAD INSTALLED #23  
   / FORD 1700 NEW HEAD INSTALLED
Thanks JC, cleaning up the engine block gasket area and waiting to get the head back soon l hope, Thank God we have had minimal snow this year so l didn't need the tractor. Will send updates when I get it back

/ FORD 1700 NEW HEAD INSTALLED #25  
IMG_7538.JPG

From a 1700 operation manual I bought 43-51 ft-lbs so what JC said. I went for the low end, seems to be working so far. I totally dissembled mine and put them back together, nothing has failed yet.