Ford 1710 pto not engaging

/ Ford 1710 pto not engaging #1  

Carl1710

Tractor
Ford 1710
My ford1710 pto does not turn when engaged but when it does turn you can easily stop it with your shoe. If the tractor is on an incline it will turn. Any ideas?

/ Ford 1710 pto not engaging #2  
Did it just happen suddenly or did you notice a gradual degradation over time? Fluid levels and filter? Is it a live PTO?

/ Ford 1710 pto not engaging
As far as I know it's live. I bought it knowing it had a problem problem but it just stop rotating all together. If the tractor goes up hill and I engage it, it will turn with no load. Minimum load will stop it.

/ Ford 1710 pto not engaging #4  
As far as I know it's live. I bought it knowing it had a problem problem but it just stop rotating all together. If the tractor goes up hill and I engage it, it will turn with no load. Minimum load will stop it.

I would start by checking the hyd fluid and the filter. Without looking in the manual there may be two filters. If you recently purchased it a service/shop manual is going to be a must.

OK , thanks I know the fluid is up to level but I have not replaced the filter. I'm going to drain it and do a complete hydraulic change. Everything has been changed except the hydraulic ( I happen to have all manuals I will check for type and qty) thanks again.

Hi folks,
Wanted to give you all an update on the pto. I checked the hydraulic level before starting and it was on the money and clear. I had to use the loader to unload a new picnic table and noticed the loader was a bit slow and jerking slightly, I began to have doubts if I had read the dipstick wrong so I stopped it to check again. What I found was water in the mix. You guys were right filter is plugged up and I have water in my hydraulics. How does water get in there? I cover the entire tractor with a huge silver tarp. How much fluid will it take with a filter change?
Any help is appreciated.

Great, thanks. I would like to know how to avoid water contamination. The only thing I can think off is to reseal all panels. Thanks again.

/ Ford 1710 pto not engaging #9  
Shifter boots are the usual suspect.
Jim

OK, I will take a good look at them.
Thanks.