Ford 2n lift arms leaking

/ Ford 2n lift arms leaking #1  

smiley

Gold Member
I just started to yank my 2n apart to repair/replace the lift arm pins and in studying out the various threads on this project, got thinking about this; If I welded an ear on the self locking nut inside the trumpet, to stop it from spinning, I should be able to tighten it with the outside nut if it ever loosened again.
If any of you guys that have done this job have thoughts about whether this will work or not, I'd like to hear them.
Thanks,
Smiley

/ Ford 2n lift arms leaking #2  
Do you have a picture? Perhaps you can use lock-wire.

/ Ford 2n lift arms leaking
Do you have a picture? Perhaps you can use lock-wire.

Here's a photo of the nut in question from another thread on this site http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...39565563-naa-lift-arm-pivot-stud-lift-pin-jpg
Lift pin.JPG

As you can see, a lock wire would not accomplish any more than the cotter pin. The whole object of welding an ear on the nut is to keep it from turning so you could tighten the pin from the outside and avoid having to remove the whole axle housing as shown here,
I'm considering using a self locking nut but welding on it might destroy the self locking feature, in which case I'm also thinking of just a standard lock washer under the nut. In theory, if the pin loosens you could just tighten it with the nut that holds the lift arm on.
Thanks,
Smiley

/ Ford 2n lift arms leaking #4  
The cotter pin should prevent that. I do not understand how it is still spinning.

/ Ford 2n lift arms leaking #5  
The cotter pin should prevent that. I do not understand how it is still spinning.

The nut dont spin on the pin. the whole pin spins. the whole pin is loose. The only way to tighten them is to gain access to that nut unfortunately. Welding a tab on that nut would sure do the trick. I'd take the nut out and weld the tab on, so you dont have all the weld spatter and slag inside the tractor

The nut dont spin on the pin. the whole pin spins. the whole pin is loose. The only way to tighten them is to gain access to that nut unfortunately. Welding a tab on that nut would sure do the trick. I'd take the nut out and weld the tab on, so you dont have all the weld spatter and slag inside the tractor

You nailed it LD1, Here's a photo of the pin so anyone unfamiliar with the problem can understand it. I will definitely weld it outside and maybe get new pins if the old ones are really worn.. I posted this basically to see if anyone else has tried it, at least agrees it should work, or could present a good reason that it wouldn't work.
Thanks,
Smiley$_35.jpg

I just did a post in the parts and repairs section, following up on this thread.

Solution to Ford 2n/9n lower lift arms leaking ???