ford 3000 with hydraulic issues.

/ ford 3000 with hydraulic issues. #1  

spd132

Just bought what i think is a 1974 ford 3000 diesel and having problems with 3 point hitch. The lift arms respond up and down fine when there is nothing hooked up or with some implements but if I hook up my 5 ft rotary cutter, it will not lift it. haven't tried the disk harrow yet. I have a homemade trailer hitch that mounts to 3 point and I can lift the front of my 16 ft trailer as high as the lift will go. Checked the fluid and someone had way overfilled it. I drained an est. 2 to 3 gallons before it finally slowed to a dribble at the full plug. Does anyone have any ideas what problem could be?

/ ford 3000 with hydraulic issues. #2  
Could be fluid, air in the system, or pump. What does the fluid look like? Air in the system can be burped out, multiple trips from full down to full up. Pump output pressure can be checked at the pump...get a service manual (I&T brand work ok....forget the # for my 3000....check ebay) and 0-5000 PSI gauge, oil filled preferred...ebay sells them too.

/ ford 3000 with hydraulic issues. #3  
Here's what happen to mine the return line to the pump rusted where it was in contact with tranny, under the foot rails, debris collects there. So under a load it sucked in air and made the oil level look high from foam. Ford wanted a lot of money for new one. I took it off cleaned all the rust off and brazed up all the pits, painted and put some new orings in and all was well.

/ ford 3000 with hydraulic issues.
Sorry about taking so long to reply. Well I put my scraper blade on the tractor and then added about 300 lbs of weight. Tractor at first would only pick it up a few inches. I started working the lift lever from top to bottom and it finally started lifting it up but very slowly. Seems like there is a spot about half way up where to would slow way down but after it goes through it, it faster to the top. I bled the system at the plug on lift cover under seat but didn't see any air bubbles. After tightening plug up, it started to leak a little around it so going to buy kit and replace gaskets and o rings in lift cover. Used it some today on driveway and seems like it was getting a little better but I took all the weight off of the blade. This is by far not the first tractor that I have worked on so this may sound like a stupid question, but which plug on the back of the pump do you use to bleed the system? there is a small plug on the back top of the pump between to bolt heads and there is a larger plug on the lower back of the pump.

/ ford 3000 with hydraulic issues. #5  
I have a 1971 2000 that sounds like same problem ,rebuild pump did not help ,new oil ,no help ,that little lever under seat that dropps 3 point quick ? Was rusted took it out works now

/ ford 3000 with hydraulic issues. #6  
I don't think it needs bled. What you describe is the inability to lift a heavy load.

1. That would indicate an inability to create pressure such as possibly the return line leak that Roy described or something similar.

2. A weak pump. This could be tested by a pressure gauge in the system. Hopefully RickB will see this thread and chime in about how to run pressure tests.

3. A leaking lift cylinder, bypassing when under heavy load. It's contained in the cover the 3pt lift arms extend from under the seat. Cover needs removed to rebuild cylinder.

4. Possibly a pressure leak in the valving assembly also located in the cover mentioned above.

/ ford 3000 with hydraulic issues. #7  
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, it didn't fit......

In the past someone has overloaded the nearly 50 year old seals and they failed.

The seals will now only hold up to 'X' psi, below that it still works, above that it's easier for the fluid to blow past the seals than to lift the load so it doesn't go up.

The acid test is to lift something (like your trailer) up with the 3pth, then add weight to the hitch and see how much more it takes for the load to start dropping.

/ ford 3000 with hydraulic issues. #8  
I had two problems with mine, first was rebuild the valves in the top plate, 2nd was the suction return line got pin hole rust throughs, I brazed the line up.

/ ford 3000 with hydraulic issues. #9  
If it will lift a light load and hold it with the tractor shut off the control valve, safety valve and piston seals are ok. If the hitch settles quickly under load when you kill the tractor the piston seals are the #1 suspect, followed by the safety valve then the control valve.
If it lifts a light load but not a moderately heavy load but holds what it will lift, the main relief valve and pump would be suspect.

/ ford 3000 with hydraulic issues. #10  
If it will lift a light load and hold it with the tractor shut off the control valve, safety valve and piston seals are ok. If the hitch settles quickly under load when you kill the tractor the piston seals are the #1 suspect, followed by the safety valve then the control valve.
If it lifts a light load but not a moderately heavy load but holds what it will lift, the main relief valve and pump would be suspect.

Very well stated Rick. Would have taken me several paragraphs to get that out. :)