Ford 3910 with strange fuel tank issue

/ Ford 3910 with strange fuel tank issue #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
Guys,

I have a 3910 tractor that I restored several years back and since 2018 keep having a strange fuel issue. So three years ago my fuel filter was getting clogged often so I drained the tank and the diesel fuel was a nasty brown color. I decided to clean the tank with vinegar which got out a lot of crap. Installed new fuel filter and all was good. Now two years later the brown crap is back. Any idea what is going on here? Tractor stays in a shed year round. Picture attached.

Thanks.
IMG_0259.jpg

/ Ford 3910 with strange fuel tank issue #2  
Mate, that is 'classic', dead, biological growth.

After a diesel biocide treatment (according to the instructions) you'll need to drain the tank and wipe out until there's little to no 'brown gunk' showing. I've used a 'mechanical grabber' with CHUX (J-cloth) to do the job. An inspection camera is also handy to see your progress.

Continue to add a biocide to every tank of fuel IOT reduce the occurrence of the growth returning.

/ Ford 3910 with strange fuel tank issue
So your telling me living organism can survive in diesel fuel? I had no idea that’s even possible.

/ Ford 3910 with strange fuel tank issue #4  
Yep, biocide is needed.
Draining and cleaning the tank would be the best course, however.
A method which will work;
add the biocide to your tank, get a good electric fuel pump,
plumb it into your tank and feed it right back in the fill of the tank,
install a good sized easy to monitor fuel filter in the line and start circulating your fuel
as the flow slows down replace the filter. when that filter ceases to get plugged try and find a 5 micron filter and continue
when you can circulate without plugging a filter your fuel is usable.
Also biocide and jugs or tanks you are transporting or storing fuel in.

Good luck it can be a bear to correct the issue.

/ Ford 3910 with strange fuel tank issue #5  
You may hear that you have algae, which is a common saying amongst farmers. What you really have is a combo of bacteria and fungus. Algae needs at least some light. Bacteria and fungus can live nicely in a dark diesel fuel tank if you don't add a fungicide during long term storage.

/ Ford 3910 with strange fuel tank issue #6  
So your telling me living organism can survive in diesel fuel? I had no idea that’s even possible.
Yep: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microbial_contamination_of_diesel_fuel

You need to treat your tank with a diesel biocide treatment, clean your tank + change the fuel filter (perhaps a few times) then add new fuel... AND continue to add a biocide treatment (25-50 ml per tank) everytime you 'fill up'.

I also add biocide to my transfer tank and to my jerry cans. It can 'come back' if not treated, it may take a few years for it to return/grow to problem levels of tank/system contamination but you've now experienced that occurrence.

/ Ford 3910 with strange fuel tank issue #7  
The bacteria live at the fuel/water interface and feed on the fuel. No water, no bacteria.

Yeah I tried keeping the fuel tank full so no water can get in there but I guess water is still making it in somehow. The tractor sits mostly as it’s not used much. I do use a fuel additive with stabilizer and lubricity additive though. I’m also using a biocide now. Just did a shock treatment on Friday. Thanks

/ Ford 3910 with strange fuel tank issue #9  
Keeping the tank full as much as possible helps, but your fuel tank (cap) is vented to the atmosphere and over time some water will get in with humid air.
I always add small amount of Biobor JF when buying Diesel fuel.

Keeping the tank full as much as possible helps, but your fuel tank (cap) is vented to the atmosphere and over time some water will get in with humid air.
I always add small amount of Biobor JF when buying Diesel fuel.

That’s what I’m using now. biobor JF. Hope it works.