3-Point Hitch Ford 4000 3 Point Wont Hold

/ Ford 4000 3 Point Wont Hold
I did not but I will try that and see what happens

Well while troublshooting this problem I noticed that I have a small drip from the transmission drain plug. And I have a different question related to that.

It looks like Red ATF fluid coming off the drain plug but I read in my manual where the SOS Transmission uses Hydralic Fluid. What fluid should I use?

/ Ford 4000 3 Point Wont Hold #13  
Not hyd fluid.. but trans-draulic / universal tractor fluid ( utf ) meeting ford spec M2C134D

Every company puts different dye in their oil.. some red.. some green.. some brown.. some amber.

likely that you got some red tinted utf oil leaking.

soundguy

according to the manual I should be using the same fluid in the rear end to run the hydralic lift but that fluid is not red. Could that be my problem?

/ Ford 4000 3 Point Wont Hold #15  
Not sure what you are asking.

the trans fluid in that sos is a seperate sump than the rear/hyd sump.

utf in all sumps.

red utf in the sos and green utf in the diffy sump won't make a difference if that's what your asking???

soundguy

ok. There has been a change in the 3pt working. Now if nothing is connected to the 3pt it will raise as soon as I start the tractor. If I do have my box blade connected it still takes a few minutes before it will lift. I still do not see any fluid coming out of the cyclinder. What should I look at next?

/ Ford 4000 3 Point Wont Hold #17  
ok.. 3pt won't lift for a while, and no oil leak from mouth of cyl.

I'd suspect something in the unloading valve area then.

soundguy

/ Ford 4000 3 Point Wont Hold #18  
these is no quess about it
oil is leaking past the o-rings on the lift piston
it will hold at the because its not in draft or float position
with the unit running there is a constent oil pressure going to the 3pt control valve.as soon as you shut the unit off the presure is gone.the oil by-passes the o-rings allowing the pt to drop.
aprox.hrs to repair with no extra problems
make sure you check piston for scaring and really check the cylinder for scaring and excessive wear.
de-glaze cylinder before re-assembling
thanks
mackenize

/ Ford 4000 3 Point Wont Hold #19  
he said -NO- oil leak from mouth of cyl.

soundguy