Ford 4000 Questions

/ Ford 4000 Questions #1  

TBigLug

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 401C
1964 Ford 4000 (841), 4 sp. Couple questions.

1. What is the procedure for adjusting the brakes? They work but barely and only right before the pedal hits the floor.

2. What could cause a no first gear issue? Tractor was like this when I bought it. It doesn't grind or anything, shifts into the slot like a normal gear. Let off the clutch, nothing there. I don't have a concrete floor so I don't think I can split the tractor and get it back together. Anyone ever seen a problem like this or have a diagram of the transmission? I'm hoping it may be a busted pin or some such.

Thanks for the help.

/ Ford 4000 Questions #2  
Go to CNH parts online website. They have great pictorial parts diagrams showing all parts involved.

In this case I looked for the brake linkage parts to figure out how to adjust the brakes.

See Part # 27 & 28. They show the linkage rod and clevis that are adjustable to get "good pedal".

I have no clue in regards to the trans problem. But again this website may offer pictorials of the trans setup that might give you a clue.

Official New Holland Online Parts Store and Online Parts Catalog for New Holland and Ford Tractors.

/ Ford 4000 Questions #3  
Adjust the brakes through a slot in each backing plate via an adjuster with a star wheel as you would a typical drum & shoe brake. Use the external rod and clevis adjustments to balance the pedals after adjusting the star wheel.

/ Ford 4000 Questions #4  
Adjust the brakes through a slot in each backing plate via an adjuster with a star wheel as you would a typical drum & shoe brake. Use the external rod and clevis adjustments to balance the pedals after adjusting the star wheel.

Good stuff Rick!!!!

I was so wrapped up in the linkage adjustment that I forgot to send him there first.

Again, on the CNH parts website there's a very good picture of the wheel brake assembly, including the adjusters.

/ Ford 4000 Questions
Awesome, I ended up getting the brakes adjusted. No rod and clevis for my pedals, just bolted to a shaft. I'll look into the parts diagrams for trans ideas next. Thanks.

/ Ford 4000 Questions #6  
I first remove the clevispin from the brakelinks. Then adjust the brakes to lock wheels then unscrew starnut till wheels come loose.
Then I adjust that clevis and rods til pedals is equal.