Ford 4000SU clutch problem

/ Ford 4000SU clutch problem #1  

rjc75k

Tractor
Ford 4000SU
Hi all--first time poster here. I've searched the forum and can't find anyone who's had this problem so I'm hoping someone can help--thanks in advance. I'll state this upfront...I'm sure I'll need to split the tractor. Awhile back I was running a bush hog in some deep grass and bottomed the tractor out on a hidden stump. The stump also hit the the clutch release fork on the side of the transmission. Since then the clutch is inoperative (won't release). The clutch pedal has resistance from the return spring (intact) and then halfway through the pedal travel it feels like it gives way and the pedal bottoms out. The pedal will stay down unless you grab it and pull it back--hope that makes sense. Everything on the outside looks fine--pedal, release fork, linkage rod, etc. I'm assuming something inside broke. With the rod disconnected from the fork, you can move the clutch release fork back and forth by hand with no issue--it will stay in either position (forward or back). Before I dive into this (or find someone to do it) I'm hoping to get an idea of what's broken on the inside. Any ideas or recommendations are much appreciated. I do have the shop manual. Its a great tractor and i need to get it operating again. It will start while in gear and runs fine, just can't release the clutch. Thanks.

RJ in NC

Last edited:
   / Ford 4000SU clutch problem #2  
Well, you're right about splitting the tractor. You PROBABLY haven't done any expensive damage, but who knows? Most likely all that happened was a sheared bolt. Just a grade 8 3/8" bolt, 2 1/2" or so in length. That's what secures the fork to the shaft you can now move easily by hand. It may have done something to pressure plate levers, maybe not. Maybe dinged up the notch in the shaft a little. You'll see when you get it apart. The bolt would be item 13 on the diagram.

/ Ford 4000SU clutch problem
Thank you Harry. I will check it out in the diagram. Not looking forward to splitting her but what's done is done. Time to fix it.