Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly?

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #101  
Why is there so much hate for the 5.4? They had some issues spitting plugs and the long timings chains are prone to stretch both problems are shared by the v-10 by the power isn’t that bad. I’d drive a 5.4 over a 6.0 or 6.4 anytime.
My 5.4 has hundreds of thousands miles on it...

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #102  
2006 early 2007 Duramax in GMC and Chevrolet, one of the very best diesels out there.
Yeah my neighbor had his gilflirt at 113k. 17,000 to fix it. Its a mechanic truck and he works for a company. Just did head gaskets on a beautiful crew cab my cousins boy bought for 600 bucks. Been running good so far. But somewhere somebody lost a lot of money on that deal. I don't want to be a loser. My 5.4 runs like new and has multiplied hundreds of thousands of miles since 04.

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #103  
Why is there so much hate for the 5.4? They had some issues spitting plugs and the long timings chains are prone to stretch both problems are shared by the v-10 by the power isn’t that bad. I’d drive a 5.4 over a 6.0 or 6.4 anytime.
5.4s are good gassers. You might drive a 5.4 over a 6.4 diesel anytime, but towing?
That’s another story.

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #104  
5.4s are good gassers. You might drive a 5.4 over a 6.4 diesel anytime, but towing?
That’s another story.

I wouldn’t start hotshot towing with a 5.4 but they’ll tow a skid steer or a camper a few times a year just fine. A 5.4 reliability is far higher than a 6.0 or 6.4.

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #105  
I wouldn’t start hotshot towing with a 5.4 but they’ll tow a skid steer or a camper a few times a year just fine. A 5.4 reliability is far higher than a 6.0 or 6.4.

I beg to differ...

Cam phasers on a 5.4 are not if, but when they go part.

I have seen 6.0 with fluid maintenance (change the damn coolant) go hundreds of thousands of hard miles with little down time.

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #106  
What I find most interesting is that Ford didn't figure out what was killing 6.0s and still didn't get on board after shade trees found the solutions. Dealer service is not what it was at one time.

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #107  
Biggest enemy of the 6.0. Powerstroke is the Ford Gold coolant. The silicates drop out of it, plug the oil cooler and egr coolers, cause flash boiling and hot spots which pushes out the head gaskets.
First thing you do with a 6.0 is flush the coolant and put a good extended life coolant in it. I ran Caterpillar coolant in mine.

They absolutely do not like tuning and power increases without studding. My first one was reliable but blew up right after I tuned it. I love the way they run, but there is a lot of things that can go wrong with them....and none of those problems are cheap. My F550 was studded, heavy duty coolers installed, blue spring kit, etc, etc.......and it still left me stranded because the injection pressure control regulator failed. Stupid little plastic piece that cost $1100 to replace at Ford dealer.

But I'd still buy one over ANY new DPF/SCR equipped diesel.

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #108  
Biggest enemy of the 6.0. Powerstroke is the Ford Gold coolant. The silicates drop out of it, plug the oil cooler and egr coolers, cause flash boiling and hot spots which pushes out the head gaskets.
First thing you do with a 6.0 is flush the coolant and put a good extended life coolant in it. I ran Caterpillar coolant in mine.

They absolutely do not like tuning and power increases without studding. My first one was reliable but blew up right after I tuned it. I love the way they run, but there is a lot of things that can go wrong with them....and none of those problems are cheap. My F550 was studded, heavy duty coolers installed, blue spring kit, etc, etc.......and it still left me stranded because the injection pressure control regulator failed. Stupid little plastic piece that cost $1100 to replace at Ford dealer.

But I'd still buy one over ANY new DPF/SCR equipped diesel.
The new trucks have come a long way. I have one and it blows the doors off my Ford diesels.
Once the crazies start making us drive EV light trucks, I’ll move back to a 25’ tandem flatbed

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #109  
I just use my new F150 now. I only have to tow the RTV/B Series or Allis Chalmers CA, so it is more than enough for that. If I ever had to replace my F550 I'll get one with the new 7.3 gas engine.

The reduced maintenance costs and cheaper purchase price will make up for any increased fuel consumption over a diesel.

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #110  
I just use my new F150 now. I only have to tow the RTV/B Series or Allis Chalmers CA, so it is more than enough for that. If I ever had to replace my F550 I'll get one with the new 7.3 gas engine.

The reduced maintenance costs and cheaper purchase price will make up for any increased fuel consumption over a diesel.
I don’t know about that, but it ain’t worth another G v D discussion.
Ill just say this: when you tow a LOT, Diesels still rule on frequent heavy towing. And it’s like 100 to 1 when you get out on the road and see who’s towing.
On mostly empty or light-moderate weekly towing, gas is more practical and sensible.