Ford 6.2L V8

/ Ford 6.2L V8 #11  
I had a Hemi in a 2500 4x4 and it would not do 12 and averaged about 8-10. I always said Hemi was a old Indian word for "fill it up again".

Chris

/ Ford 6.2L V8 #12  
I have heard that the 6.2 was also going to be in the Expedition. I plan on getting a new one so I'm holding off ordering until I know for sure it will be offered.

/ Ford 6.2L V8 #13  
I'll take 16 mpg in my hemi. I average 13 mpg...

Thats not an engine for pulling and torque it's all for High RPM's. I like real world towing. To each their own... Not saying it's bad. I'm from the 60's and i remember when the hemis hit the streets.. Towing though???? Depends what you want them for..

/ Ford 6.2L V8 #14  
Thats not an engine for pulling and torque it's all for High RPM's. I like real world towing. To each their own... Not saying it's bad. I'm from the 60's and i remember when the hemis hit the streets.. Towing though???? Depends what you want them for..

What do you consider "real world towing"? I'll put my 03 Ram 1500 HEMI against any pre-05 1/2 ton truck in towing. I've towed with the anemic Ford 5.4l and ridden in a stock GM 5.3l, neither were impressive especially with a load. The whole point of the HEMI heads is a better combustion design. Dual spark plug ignition, high compression and large 2 valve design are all proven for high HP and TQ at low rpms. It makes over 300 lb.ft. at 2700rpms and over 300hp by 3700 rpms. That's hardly "High RPM's" for a gasoline engine. I guess that seems high for Ford and GM guys because their motors start floating valves and blowing rings at anything over 4,000 RPM's. :rolleyes:

I've had my truck at full rated tow capacity of 8550lbs (3.92 axle) and had no problems staying at highway speeds up the White Mountain hills of NH, the brakes and tranny worked perfectly and I averaged 11-12 mpg. All this with the A/C on, 5 adults comfortably in the cab and a ton of tools in the bed. I've towed plenty with it and never thought it felt underpowered for one bit. At 1500 RPM's, the engine starts really pulling and doesn't stop until over 5,000 RPM's.

Towing the tractor (6k lbs +/- plus trailer):

Towed this rental mini-ex (7k lbs +/- plus trailer) to and from site:

Numerous race cars (4k lbs +/- plus trailer):

And sleds/atv's (3k +/- lbs plus trailer):

Is that enough "real world" towing...:rolleyes:

/ Ford 6.2L V8 #15  
Which Hemi do you want. The big blocks were tuned for performance, and to rev. But had oodles of torque.

Or the Aussie Hemi, inline 6 with triple webers. Torque...

All the engines are tunable. My Uncle had a '66 SS396 Chevelle. FAST! My Grandfather had a '69 GMC pickup, 3/4 ton. 396ci. Motor looked different; different intake and exhaust. Different cam. Tuned for low end grunt. I am a Mopar guy, but that old GMC pulled like a tank; I would put it up against any gasser made now.

/ Ford 6.2L V8 #16  
The 5.7 Hemi isnt a bad pulling engine,my neighbor has a 2500 Ram with one,its on Cummins but it pulls his 31ft TT fine.If your going to tow heavy with a small block gasser,your going to need to be in the 3-4000rpm rangle on hills,thats just the way it is,all the new engines will take it fine.
Dmace,your comment on the GM 5.3 is way off,my brothers got 255K on his 2001 1500 4x4 ,and tows all the time,also play races it constantly,it runs to 6000RPM due to his aftermarket tune,it runs like a new engine yet,has over 8800 hrs on it.Hes pulled my 14K dump trailer with it,and pulls an 18ft enclosed across the northeast to bike shows with a good load in it.That trucks been rock solid,and dependable.

/ Ford 6.2L V8 #17  
What do you consider "real world towing"? I'll put my 03 Ram 1500 HEMI against any pre-05 1/2 ton truck in towing. I've towed with the anemic Ford 5.4l and ridden in a stock GM 5.3l, neither were impressive especially with a load. The whole point of the HEMI heads is a better combustion design. Dual spark plug ignition, high compression and large 2 valve design are all proven for high HP and TQ at low rpms. It makes over 300 lb.ft. at 2700rpms and over 300hp by 3700 rpms. That's hardly "High RPM's" for a gasoline engine. I guess that seems high for Ford and GM guys because their motors start floating valves and blowing rings at anything over 4,000 RPM's. :rolleyes:

I've had my truck at full rated tow capacity of 8550lbs (3.92 axle) and had no problems staying at highway speeds up the White Mountain hills of NH, the brakes and tranny worked perfectly and I averaged 11-12 mpg. All this with the A/C on, 5 adults comfortably in the cab and a ton of tools in the bed. I've towed plenty with it and never thought it felt underpowered for one bit. At 1500 RPM's, the engine starts really pulling and doesn't stop until over 5,000 RPM's.

Towing the tractor (6k lbs +/- plus trailer):

Towed this rental mini-ex (7k lbs +/- plus trailer) to and from site:

Numerous race cars (4k lbs +/- plus trailer):

And sleds/atv's (3k +/- lbs plus trailer):

Is that enough "real world" towing...:rolleyes:

That's your opinion but its funny how you always jump all over the 5.4L. The simple fact is they are all decent engines with the Hemi having the most HP, the 5.3L having the lowest torque, and the Ford right in the middle. I was not impressed with my Hemi, but it did the job. Just no better than any of the others. The best gas V8 hands down is the 8.1L GM but they screwed that deal all up. The V10 Ford is the only real option at this time.

Back to the Hemi. Its a great race car engine but really should have never been put into the truck. It did bring Dodge back out of the dumps and sell lots of trucks with the funny commercials. I bought into it. They had a good engine base with the 360 and should have built upon it. Instead they pimped out the Hemi name plate and now means noting to people in the know like it did 30 years ago.

Chris

/ Ford 6.2L V8 #18  
Not to be outdone, GM is coming with a bigger gas engine to replace the current 6.0L. It will not be the current 6.2L gas that GM uses in the half tons. Supposedly this new HD gas engine will be bigger than 6.2L.

/ Ford 6.2L V8 #19  
I agree; I am disappointed they "pimp out" the Hemi name. Same as putting the silly wing and sticker on a pickup and calling it a "Daytona"; talk about an insult to the original! Same as that "Rumble Bee"... Honestly!!!

Didn't they change to the 4.7l and the Hemi to get a new engine to meet smog, power, efficiency?

The LA motors were pretty good. Good power. We used to tow a smaller travel trailer in the 70's with a '71 Fury with a 360. That big car actually ran pretty good, and could easily get 20mpg+ on the highway.

I liked the Dodge V10. I have a long time family friend who has one in a 2wd 2500 RAM. He has pulled a 34' 3-slide 5th wheel all over the western states. It is a great two rig. Wasn't that motor basically a LA block with two extra cylinders?

Back to the Hemi. Its a great race car engine but really should have never been put into the truck. It did bring Dodge back out of the dumps and sell lots of trucks with the funny commercials. I bought into it. They had a good engine base with the 360 and should have built upon it. Instead they pimped out the Hemi name plate and now means noting to people in the know like it did 30 years ago.

Chris

/ Ford 6.2L V8 #20  
There is nothing wrong with the Hemi as a truck motor. This is even more true with the newest version with the active intake manifold, you get great low end torque and the high end horsepower. Being and old Mopar muscle car owner in the past and having restored a couple of cars, I thought using the Hemi name was commiting a huge sin, until I bought a couple of them. The truth is the newer Hemi is a much better engine than the original one was for street use. In a race application, I'm not sure anything new or old will beat the old hemi.

Back to the original post, Fords new gas engine is their answer to the increasing horsepower wars in gas engines, which keep getting higher and higher. Dodge, Toyota, and Chevy all keep uping the ante.

Diamond Pilot, you keep trashing the 3/4 ton hemi you had, you don't get over 1 hp per cubic inch without burning fuel. You don't make 350-400 hp without burning a lot of fuel. A gas engine will never equal a diesel in a heavy duty towing application for efficency, but that doesn't a make them a poor choice.