Ford 7.3L Gas Engine

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #51  
The numbers for this big gasser may sound impressive but it will never compete against a big diesel. Diesels will always have the edge because the energy density of the fuel is different. Diesel has 18-30% MORE energy per gallon than gasoline so gassers are at a disadvantage from the beginning. It depends on what your purpose for the vehicle is. If you NEED 900 foot pounds of torque....you need a diesel. If not, there are other options.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #52  
The numbers for this big gasser may sound impressive but it will never compete against a big diesel. Diesels will always have the edge because the energy density of the fuel is different. Diesel has 18-30% MORE energy per gallon than gasoline so gassers are at a disadvantage from the beginning. It depends on what your purpose for the vehicle is. If you NEED 900 foot pounds of torque....you need a diesel. If not, there are other options.
The point of this thread is NOT Gas vs Diesel...

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #53  
The numbers for this big gasser may sound impressive but it will never compete against a big diesel.

I think we all know this.

This motor fits a niche for a customer that dosen't need a diesel, which is the entire point of this motor.

Towing is not all about power, gearing plays a big part as well, with the right gears and this motor...that load will get from point A to point B just like a diesel. I like this motor, but I'm at 7,200 feet above sea level, I need turbos up here. If they put a turbo on this I might be a buyer, but until they do I will be forced to buy diesel trucks.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #54  
The point of this thread is NOT Gas vs Diesel...

People buying a truck that has the 7.3 as an option WILL be asking themselves....Gas vs Diesel..

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #55  
People buying a truck that has the 7.3 as an option WILL be asking themselves....Gas vs Diesel..

Agreed. I know I would have a pro/cons list. With the influx of diesels into the 1/2 ton thru 1 ton market and stronger gas motors, you almost have to.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #56  
And you consider that as acceptable for a company that has been making engines for over 115 years? :thumbdown:
No way, no excuse for that kind of engineering!

It seems after the 90s, the big 3 had quirky engine issues. Fords spitting plugs and multiple diesel engine issues. Chevy with the oil consumption and piston slap. Mopar trans and poor cooling system issues. While the engines were light years ahead of the older ones in power, they all seemed to have some weird issue.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #57  
Marginal engineering in favor of "other priorities".
The high cost of economy.

I speak from my experiences only. Had a GM TBI motor, a V6 4.3, have 0 issues in over 200k miles. Had a 5.3 in a 05 Chevy use oil, almost 2qts, between changes. My 2 6.0 diesels were fine, but many friends and co-workers had major issues, as well as with the 6.4 diesel. I currently own my first Ram, 2500 with a Cummins. Been great-so far.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #58  
My buddy that can tear up an anvil has had and abused several 4.3s and never torn up any of them. I’ve never seen any problems out of 5.3s either. I’d take a 5.3 or a 6.0 over a 5.4 Ford any day.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #59  
My buddy that can tear up an anvil has had and abused several 4.3s and never torn up any of them. I’ve never seen any problems out of 5.3s either. I’d take a 5.3 or a 6.0 over a 5.4 Ford any day.

Had a 5.4 in my wifes 13 Expedition. No issues, towed pretty well. Not much in the way of acceleration. We now own a 2015 Armada-big performance difference. Have not towed with it yet.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #60  
Ford should embrace a simplified overhead cam design that eliminates rocker arms. Just because GM can't get out of the pushrod era doesn't mean Ford should go backwards.

The design used by Fiat back in the 70s and Volvo in the 80s was a bullet proof simple design that used replaceable valve pads the camshaft rode right on to actuate the valves. No reason they couldn't use a similar design with a hydraulic bucket that doesn't require adjustment but in actuality those rarely required adjusting the pad thicknesses. To adjust valve clearance you just depressed the valve with a special tool and replaced the shim with a thicker or thinner one. NO rocker arms, NO pushrods! Just plain old direct valve actuation with a reduction in moving parts.

0900c15280063ee2.jpg