Ford 8N finish mower size

/ Ford 8N finish mower size #1  

Cherokee140

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 650, Ford 8n, John Deere Model 70 Kubota BX25D
Figured I would ask here as it is likely to get more traction then in the vintage section......

What size finish mower would a HEALTHY (as in just rebuilt) 8N be able to handle?

Thanks guys.

and just for fun...here is the wife using the brush hog doing the front yard.

/ Ford 8N finish mower size #2  
A 6' model would be no problem at all. I sold a 90" cut finish mower to a guy who said he runs it on an 8N with no problem...maybe because it has 5 smaller blades rather than 3 bigger blades.

/ Ford 8N finish mower size #3  
If the engine is holding good compression, it should handle a 5' with no problem. I have a '52 8N that I just finished rebuilding the engine a couple of months ago and it will handle a 5' with no problem. I would be afraid that a 6' would be too big when you get into the grass getting too high (lots of rain or such and can't cut for awhile). Also, the 6' will stick out quite a bit and easily get hung up on fence/trees/whatever. The 5' is just perfect for mine. Please wear hearing protection when you use the finishing mower as it is the loudest SOB that I have ever heard. Mine is a Bush Hog brand finishing mower and when those belts/blades get to whirring, it sounds like a helicopter blade right next to you. I forgot the first time I used it this spring and didn't want to stop to get my ear-buds/music and now everything sounds strange in my right ear. You can bet I remembered the next time.

/ Ford 8N finish mower size #4  
Love the video btw! :thumbsup: One thing I forgot to add is that I put implement rims/tires on the front of my 8N and I love them. They are wider and don't cut into the lawn/dirt like the old three rib tires do. The implement rims are also tubeless and if you do get something in one, you can just plug it. I paid about $125 for the pair of rims and paid the tire store about $35 for a used set of car tires to go on and mount them. They are the best thing ever for a tractor that doesn't do full time farming. They still work good for tilling or gardening. If you increase the size of the pic, you can see the wider front tires/rims and the 5' finishing mower. Old girl still does good work for me! :) I do love the new Kubota though. :D

/ Ford 8N finish mower size #5  
Lots of people run 5' rotary cutters behind an 8N, and they take quite a bit more power than finish mowers. My 1948 model had no problems running a 5 footer through tall grass and weeds....a foot wider finish mower would be no problem.

/ Ford 8N finish mower size #6  
Most people run a 6' finish mower on a 8N. You should put some weight on the front to hold it down.

/ Ford 8N finish mower size #7  
Some place along time ago I read where the front end only requires 900lbs hanging out back for the front end to catch air. My Dearborn disk with two railroad ties must weigh close to that. I run a 72 inch finish mower behind my grandfathers 8n. If I let the grass get to high,I just step over a couple of feet when mowing. Buy used and take what size shows up first at a great price.

/ Ford 8N finish mower size
Thanks for all the input guys.

/ Ford 8N finish mower size #9  
I've run a 6' Woods behind my old Ferguson TO30 for 20 years with no front weights. The mower rides on casters in the rear and the front of the deck hangs on check chains from the top link on the tractor. Maybe some are different? I can pick the mower off the ground and still have no trouble driving the tractor.

/ Ford 8N finish mower size #10  
Mine has four wheels, I think that is the best design but does cost a little more. The one's on four wheels also have a free floating top link.