Ford 8N starter issues

/ Ford 8N starter issues #1  

ranger danger

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M6060, MEB802 Generator
Hi folks, my father in law passed away around 6 months ago and my brother in law took over the place. It came with an old 8N that was converted to 12v a bunch of years ago. It runs good and until recently it started with no trouble. The other day he shut it off and came back a few minutes later to start it back up and it was DEAD. No noise or anything. We put a new solenoid on it and still nothing. Pull started and rested it and it works just fine. We tested the battery and all is good. We pulled the starter and put power to it and it spun up like a mad man! We decided to try a new starter. Wont even click. DEAD! Still roll starts no problem. Tested continuity through starter, key switch and push button. All good. What are we missing???

/ Ford 8N starter issues #2  
I am not much of a mechanic but had similar problem on an old truck and it was a ground issue. The ground was good enough to read voltage on a meter. . . But ground was not good enough for the amperage pulled by the starter. I would pull the ground strap or cable and clean good to see if that helps.

/ Ford 8N starter issues
Thank you sir may I have another!!
Bad ground it was! Ground cable from the battery to the block was broken inside.

/ Ford 8N starter issues #6  
Once had the ground cable clamp bolt break inside the clamp. Intermittent no start.