Ford 8N won't start. just a single click sound

/ Ford 8N won't start. just a single click sound #1  

macecase

Bronze Member
Tractor
1965 John Deere 3020 Diesel and 1975 John Deere 4630 Diesel
My reliable ford 8N won't start! It works 50% of the time now. I tightened the very loose positive and replaced the negative wires on the battery.

When I turn the key, make sure it is neutral and then push the button, I get a click that sounds like an electrical arch. Then, nothing. If I push the button again, nothing.... Not even that click.

I left it for a few days and repeated.this time, it turned over but didn't start. I went to push the button again and got the click.... Then nothing!

What can thus be? Bad/stuck starter? I tried banging on the starter and that didn't seem to change anything.

/ Ford 8N won't start. just a single click sound #2  
Did you check to see the connections are tight from the starter solenoid onward also?

/ Ford 8N won't start. just a single click sound #3  
Try holding the key in the start position and tapping the solenoid. Please double check that the tractor is in neutral before you do this.

/ Ford 8N won't start. just a single click sound #4  
Is the battery getting re-charged when you run it? I assume the 8N has some kind of alternator or generator which charges the battery.

/ Ford 8N won't start. just a single click sound #5  
do a volt check on the battery when attempting to start. if it drops down and ytou hear the click.. battery is weak and or starter dragging / drawing too many amps.

post back with details.

/ Ford 8N won't start. just a single click sound #6  
Try holding the key in the start position and tapping the solenoid. Please double check that the tractor is in neutral before you do this.

probably won't do much :)

key on an 8n is just on and off. no start position.

there is a grounding NSS start button on the trans top that grounds a terminal on the 'hot' start relay to engage it.

/ Ford 8N won't start. just a single click sound
do a volt check on the battery when attempting to start. if it drops down and ytou hear the click.. battery is weak and or starter dragging / drawing too many amps.

post back with details.

Tried it this AM when I got to the farm..... Nothing... Not even the click.

Later in the day, I decided to crank it again. I got the click followed by normal turnover and start!!!!

So, without having done anything, I can rule out the battery.... What else could it be? Stuck starter?

/ Ford 8N won't start. just a single click sound #8  
could be brushes.

have you inspected them?

/ Ford 8N won't start. just a single click sound #9  
I'm going with solenoid rather than starter. Next time it just clicks take a pair of steel handled pliers, using the handles, jump across the solenoid. From the large wire coming from the battery to the other large wire going to the starter. If it's solenoid problems, it'll turn over immediately.

I've lost track of the number of times I've jumped the solenoid on Ford products, cars, trucks, tractors, this way.

Solenoids are the most common failure on those tractors.

/ Ford 8N won't start. just a single click sound #10  
i'd like to see that voltage read too.