Ford 900 3 point only lifting 6"

/ Ford 900 3 point only lifting 6" #1  

Diamondpilot

Super Star Member
Tractor
Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work
I need help. I have a vintage 900 series Ford 961 Power Master Gas tractor. For some time the 3 point has only lifted maybe 6" so as you drive with a implement in the air it drags over rough terrain. I changed the fluid with Ford Spec 134 fluid from TSC with no change. The fluid I drained out looked very milky in color and was hoping this fluid change would fix it but did not.

I have read the operators manual I have and can not figure out what is going on. I have tried moving the draft lever and back to normal, the up position(horizontal), with no change. The tractor does have one single rear remote and from what I understand is that you pull the knob out in front of the seat where the hydro line goes back to the remote to divert fluid to it instead of the 3 point. Could this be the problem????? I have never used the remote and don't plan on using it.

Any help would be appreciated. I own a couple modern tractors and have a basic knowledge of tractors systems but I am lost with this one.

Thanks

Chris

/ Ford 900 3 point only lifting 6" #2  
Chris,

There should be an adjustment rod that controls the height of the lift arm (causes the lift valve spool to return to neutral position, hence no hyd oil going to lift cylinder). You may need to adjust that. I'll make sure I mark the threaded rod so I know where it was in case it did not help. The feed back arm is th one connected to the right lift arm in my case just next to relief valve as pictured below.

JC,

dsc03645nc0.jpg

/ Ford 900 3 point only lifting 6" #3  
Sounds like you had water in system. Did you completely drain case? Check new fluid to see if it is contaniated also. Hydraulic Filter Change? It may take more than one change.

/ Ford 900 3 point only lifting 6" #4  
Your tractor, if a model 961 is a 901 series, not a 900 series. Being on the north side of 40 years old, there is wear in the mechanical position control linkage connected to the underside of the lift cover. Most likely the cam follower pin, or possibly the rockshaft cam itself is worn to the point that the control valve is geting a bogus signal from the rockshaft itself. Time for a lift cover overhaul. Not expensive, but you will need detailed info or an experienced tech to do the repair. Ignore JC's post about external follow-up linkage. The pictured tractor in his post was designed 40 years later than yours, half a world away.

/ Ford 900 3 point only lifting 6"
Thanks guys. I think Rick hit the nail on the head. It is a 961 so sorry for the confusion, I guess its a 901 series. I talked to a guy locally who said the same thing you did Rick. He said there is a $2 pin in the lift cover that is probably worn. He said he had the pin and gasket set in stock.

Chris

/ Ford 900 3 point only lifting 6" #6  
RickB said:
The pictured tractor in his post was designed 40 years later than yours, half a world away.

The tractor pictured is a 1979 vintage... are you saying (1979-40=1939) Ford 601 is 39 vintage?

Ford 601 was manufactured from 1958 to 1962. Ford 961 may be 17-20 years before my tractor, maybe quarter a world away!!.

JC,

/ Ford 900 3 point only lifting 6" #7  
JC-jetro said:
The tractor pictured is a 1979 vintage... are you saying (1979-40=1939) Ford 601 is 39 vintage?

Ford 601 was manufactured from 1958 to 1962. Ford 961 may be 17-20 years before my tractor, maybe quarter a world away!!.

JC,
The design for the position control linkage used in the 901 series Fords was introduced in 1948. Do you want to pick nits, or provide relevent information to help solve a problem? Apart from compacts with Aisian origins such as yours, I know of no Ford tractors with an external position control follow-up linkage. I will give you the 1/4 of a world away part.

/ Ford 900 3 point only lifting 6" #8  
RickB said:
The design for the position control linkage used in the 901 series Fords was introduced in 1948. Do you want to pick nits, or provide relevent information to help solve a problem? Apart from compacts with Aisian origins such as yours, I know of no Ford tractors with an external position control follow-up linkage. I will give you the 1/4 of a world away part.

I made no claim that what I said was totally applicable to all makes and models. The information I shared does provide for a general understanding of subject matter and it was not in error. People come hear for ideas and they should make their own mind. I respect everyone's opinion including yourself and frankly neither have desire nor stamina to nit pick. Please don't take it this the wrong way...one old sage friend of mine told me something a long time ago that made me appreciate even more the diversity of people. He said;

"opinion is like **** and everyone sure got one". I'm perfectly okay with that as it is the truth

JC:)

/ Ford 900 3 point only lifting 6" #9  
I'm late to this.. but would also think it is a cam follower pin, or the cam surface itself... especially if this has been going on for a while.

To the original poster.

Time to get a shop service manual, or take it to someone who knows how to adjust the linkages under the ford lift cover.. otherwise your draft control will likely be useless..

soundguy

/ Ford 900 3 point only lifting 6"
Thanks Sound Guy and others. I live in Indiana just a few miles from a great place called N-Complete. All they do is restore old Fords. They told me the same thing over the phone. He said he had the shop manual, the pin, and the gasket set in stock and could walk me through the job.

N-Complete is a great company with tons of nice Fords at the dealership. As the name states they love the "N" series tractors but take care of all the old ones. Here is a link to the web site if interested. I like going to the local show and seeing some of the creations they come up with like Flat Heads in a N series tractor.

N-Complete - Antique Ford 2N, 8N, 9N Tractor Parts, Sales and Service