Ford 901 Powermaster

/ Ford 901 Powermaster #1  

wmonroe

Elite Member
Tractor
1958 Ford 961 Powermaster
My wifes grandfather has a 901 powermaster. Unfortunately that is all I know about it right now (he is in Illinois and I'm in Pennsylvania), but we are going out for a visit in a couple weeks and would like to learn a little bit about the tractor before we go. I've spent the last couple hours searching but have found very little as far as specifications. All I know is it is a narrow front end, LP gas, I believe a 4 or 5 speed (one stick shift). He loves this tractor and restored it about 10 years ago. Does anyone have any info about the tractor, hp, weight, etc?
Thank you

/ Ford 901 Powermaster #2  
I can say they are a beautiful tractor when restored. If Soundguy sees the discussion, I bet, he will have the info you need on specs. You may have success searching for some his previous posts on that series? Ken Sweet

/ Ford 901 Powermaster #3  
My wifes grandfather has a 901 powermaster. Unfortunately that is all I know about it right now (he is in Illinois and I'm in Pennsylvania), but we are going out for a visit in a couple weeks and would like to learn a little bit about the tractor before we go. I've spent the last couple hours searching but have found very little as far as specifications. All I know is it is a narrow front end, LP gas, I believe a 4 or 5 speed (one stick shift). He loves this tractor and restored it about 10 years ago. Does anyone have any info about the tractor, hp, weight, etc?
Thank you

You can find a lot of info here

Change history '39-'64 Ford Tractors

The 01 is a Ford tractor series. The "9xx" identifies it as a high clearance row type tractor with a 172 cubic inch engine that can be configured to run on regular gas, diesel or LP. The second digit runs from 1 to 8 and identifies the type of transmission. The third digit is a "1" that identifies the tractor as an "01" series tractor.

/ Ford 901 Powermaster
Thanks for the replies. I had found that link earlier when I was searching but didn't save it to my favorites and then couldn't find it again, so thank you for posting it.
Do the LP models have more hp than the straight gas, or are they more fuel efficient? Just wondering what the reason for the LP was?

/ Ford 901 Powermaster
I can say they are a beautiful tractor when restored. If Soundguy sees the discussion, I bet, he will have the info you need on specs. You may have success searching for some his previous posts on that series? Ken Sweet

You are right they are very nice looking tractors, I'll get some pictures when I'm out there and post them.

/ Ford 901 Powermaster #6  
I'd figure on the lp model have about as much hp as the gasser.. perhaps a hair less.. though the engine will likely be cleaner.

They made them with narrow front single wheel, narrow front dual wheel, or optional wide front.

I have a 951 single wheel.. engine was on propane, and was converted to gas.
good strong machine.
I also have a 63 4000 wich is pasically the same chassie.. that one has a factor wide front. also a good strong machine.

the 5 speeds will have a 5 or 6 as the middle digit.. the shifter moves for or aft, and up and down. 3/r is at the top, 1/2 inthe middle, and 4/5 at the bottom. a *51 is non live pto, the *61 is live pto / dual stage clutch.

the 4 speed is *41 if it has a pto.

7/8 as a middle number will indicate a sos 10spd f / 2 rev powershift trans with independent pto 540 or 540/100

the 01 series was from year model 58-62

soundguy

/ Ford 901 Powermaster
Something I noticed while searching about these older tractors is hp can be listed as engine, pto, belt, drawbar, and maybe something else i'm forgetting. I know what engine and pto hp are but what about belt. And is drawbar similair to measuring the hp to the wheels on a car?
Thanks

/ Ford 901 Powermaster #8  
drawbar is for ground engaging implements or pulling. you can lookup the nebraska tests for these machines and hit the nails ont he head so to speak.

soundguy

/ Ford 901 Powermaster
There doesn't seem to be a lot of info out on the web about this series. I just found out though that they are looking to get rid of the tractor (due to their age) and are happy since my wife and I are interested in it since no one else in the family has interest. My question is what is this tractor worth? They are probably not going to say what they want for it, but instead ask what we want to give them.

The specs on the tractor are:
901 Powermaster 961 series
4 cyl. LP gas engine
narrow front
rear tires 90%
very nice but not show condition

Thanks for the help

/ Ford 901 Powermaster #10  
There doesn't seem to be a lot of info out on the web about this series. I just found out though that they are looking to get rid of the tractor (due to their age) and are happy since my wife and I are interested in it since no one else in the family has interest. My question is what is this tractor worth? They are probably not going to say what they want for it, but instead ask what we want to give them.

The specs on the tractor are:
901 Powermaster 961 series
4 cyl. LP gas engine
narrow front
rear tires 90%
very nice but not show condition

Thanks for the help

I am guessing, If it still runs good? A offer of $2000-2500 would not be out of line and fair to everyone. That is probably more than it cost new? Ken Sweet