Ford 9N no fire at any plug

/ Ford 9N no fire at any plug #1  

Thegrovefarm

Tractor
Mf TO35, MF253,jD A
Ford 9n with no fire. Coil is good, all parts in distributor replaced , points set to spec. Still no fire at any plug. Took distributor off running tractor and put it on this one, still no fire at any plug.
Somehow it seems that the issue is upstream from the coil but can’t figure it out. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Knots

/ Ford 9N no fire at any plug #2  
Do you have a positive ground system or negative ground? Are all your polarities correct per above question? Is there power to the points and are they making/breaking continuity? You can manually open/close the points and just check spark coming out of the coil. Once you get spark from the coil, put your distributor cap on and check at the plug.

/ Ford 9N no fire at any plug #3  
Anything grounded?

Can you polish the new points with a business card.

Crazy as it seems I ran into this once where the points didn’t let the current flow and old time mechanic said polish the points with a clean business card and it worked.

/ Ford 9N no fire at any plug #4  
Bad condensor ? Trip the points manually (momentary short) and see if a spark is generated.

/ Ford 9N no fire at any plug #5  
6 or 12v? Positive or negative ground?
Regardless I would check voltage at coil (if battery negative ground) the + positive side must have power switch on. The -- negative side to points. Disconnect high voltage (like spark plug wire) from coil to distributor, position it so end is 1/4" or so from block (ground). Every time you open points it should spark.

/ Ford 9N no fire at any plug #6  
Bad condensor ? Trip the points manually (momentary short) and see if a spark is generated.
Just because the condenser is new it doesn't mean it is good. My friend with an old Ford did the same thing...tune up but wouldn't run. It ended up to be a bad new condenser. I put the old condenser in and it ran fine.

/ Ford 9N no fire at any plug #7  
Forget about using the tractors wiring, run a hot wire from the battery to the coil and see if you get fire. SInce you said you took one from a running machine I think you have a wiring issue.

/ Ford 9N no fire at any plug #8  
Is there a resister in the wire leading to the coil. It should be near the coil. These go bad or lose connection sometimes. If you find a resister put a clip lead end to end and try spark. If it works just run the tractor momentarily - replace the resister. Your coil or points would fail w/o it.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

NEW 28IN. X 60IN. KC WORK BENCH NEW SUPPORT EQUIPMENT (A34907)
NEW 28IN. X 60IN...
2018 FONTAINE TRV4048HT EQUIPMENT TRAILER VN:57JV482D9K3575483 equipped with 40 ton capacity, 48ft. (A34907)
2018 FONTAINE...
2015 John Deere Z915B Zero-Turn Mower (A34573)
2015 John Deere...
2016 Freightliner Vac Truck (A33249)
2016 Freightliner...
NEW TREE BOOM SKID STEER ATTACHMENT (A34907)
NEW TREE BOOM SKID...
2022 John Deere RD45F Draper (A33028)
2022 John Deere...