Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it?

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it? #41  
My first tractor was an 8N. It had tons of things wrong with it. Mostly labor and new gaskets and seals. It was a fun project. I used it to maintain my road and for work at my cabin. That FEL is a monster to steer with a load in the bucket. I eventually took mine off and sold it. A rear scoop is the handiest thing for those tractors.

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it? #42  
These guy's all laugh at ya but my first tractor was a 8n and pushed many a Colo. snowed in driveway restored it as I used it and sold it years later for double what I had in it. Great for brush hogging 5 ac tracts of land where I lived. But when I sold it and bought first 4wd fel Kubota L2850 I was living large !!:cool:
Fast forward and this 8n, I'd A) calculate fuel to retrieve, B) what part of the country your in as far as humidity, rain etc. cuz the humidity brings rust. C) the fel for a 8n is a widow maker, ie. scrap metal D) check local listings as to selling prices as most fetch 2500.00 to 3500.00 mostly in Colo and Mo. where I now reside. At any rate free with scrap being up now would pay more than ur fuel costs. My 2 cents anyway. R

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it? #43  
Hey Alan46......Wood on here !!(y)o_O I bleed Blue !!

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it?
After looking at my local market in Michigan, $1500 will get you a running unit with faded and rough body. $2500 would get one with decent paint and running well, and that may even include a back blade or simple attachment if you are lucky. Well I am learning the resale value of these tractors, as well as the usability of them. Seems like some guys love them and some guys do not care for them. Might be worth buying a running one with decent tires, then work on aesthetics with a good foundation. Thanks for all of your advise!

Well it's now in my barn! The owner cleared the trees, vines, and brush away from it then kindly pulled it out with his jeep.
It is indeed an 8N and not a 9N like I had thought. The loader has a tag that says Wagner Ironworks.

Once I got it home, I took the jungle gym off to focus on the tractor. It turned over with a wrench so I let some penetrating oil sit in the engine before changing the motor oil and filter
I rebuilt the carb and bought a new 6volt battery. It turns over well and fires up on a little water bottle of gas. It does smoke a little, my guess is a leaky or sticky valve.

There is good green coolant coming out of the block petcock, BUT there is oil floating on top of the radiator. I may try suck the oil off the top to see if that would help. The oil in the block still looks good after running it a few times.

After a good power wash it doesn't look too bad, next is taking off the tank to clean out all of the old gas and corrosion. I plan to flush the radiator and fill with fresh coolant, my dad suggested re torquing the head bolts at the same time, or replacing the head gasket while the hood is off.

Attachments

• PXL_20220501_184723828.jpg
    PXL_20220501_184723828.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 132
  • PXL_20220604_155422201.jpg
    PXL_20220604_155422201.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 123
  • PXL_20220604_155430391.jpg
    PXL_20220604_155430391.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 123
   / Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it? #46  
I'd go get it. Been using one for years. Got it free. They used starting fluid on it. 6 of the 8 push rods were bent 90 degrees. Beat them out flat on a board. Cranked right up.
I know that is a flat head. But mine is a 1958 model.

Just run a chain under that Dearborn bucket and back up to front axle and come along away. Might see if the tires air up. Every aired up tire helps. I'd be back home with it already if I had the chance at it.

I'd go get it. Been using one for years. Got it free. They used starting fluid on it. 6 of the 8 push rods were bent 90 degrees. Beat them out flat on a board. Cranked right up.
I know that is a flat head. But mine is a 1958 model.

Just run a chain under that Dearborn bucket and back up to front axle and come along away. Might see if the tires air up. Every aired up tire helps. I'd be back home with it already if I had the chance at it.
It is back home with 3/4 tires holding air. Runs well too!
All the fluids should be gone through, already did an oil change.
It's running on a auxiliary tank until the stock one is cleaned out.

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it? #49  
It is back home with 3/4 tires holding air. Runs well too!
All the fluids should be gone through, already did an oil change.
It's running on a auxiliary tank until the stock one is cleaned out.
Be careful about running it first. A lot of times things settle in bottom of pan and stop up oil pickup. Then it will swarm a perfectly good engine. I have seen it happen.

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it? #50  
It only took a year, but you've got an exciting project ahead of you!
Enjoy the project. If you have a grandson or similar young man in your life see if he is interested in helping. Some of my best memories were pumping the grease gun or handing a socket to my father as he was under a truck. I thought he was teaching me about maintenance; now in my 50's I realize he was really teaching me about life.