Ford Automatic Transmission Operation

/ Ford Automatic Transmission Operation #1  

deere5105

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 John Deere 5303 MFWD
I have recently purchased a 2014 F150 with a six speed automatic transmission. I came from a 2004 F150 with a four speed automatic transmission. In the past when towing heavy loads I would disable the overdrive. I have read some on the six speed and think I have a decent working knowledge of this system including the manual shift features and locking out some gears when left in auto mode. What I don't see is any specific information regarding when to block gears or use Tow Haul mode. I guess my question is would it be safe to say that this transmission can be operated to max tow capacity without any change in settings? I have never owned a vehicle with the Tow Haul feature, but do understand its function and have driven vehicles with this feature. Looks to me like this system is set up well in that those that know how and when to lock out gears to keep from frequent gear changes can and if not sure or knowledgeable in such can just leave in normal range and use Tow Haul to improve towing performance. Anything I am missing?

/ Ford Automatic Transmission Operation #2  
I have recently purchased a 2014 F150 with a six speed automatic transmission. I came from a 2004 F150 with a four speed automatic transmission. In the past when towing heavy loads I would disable the overdrive. I have read some on the six speed and think I have a decent working knowledge of this system including the manual shift features and locking out some gears when left in auto mode. What I don't see is any specific information regarding when to block gears or use Tow Haul mode. I guess my question is would it be safe to say that this transmission can be operated to max tow capacity without any change in settings? I have never owned a vehicle with the Tow Haul feature, but do understand its function and have driven vehicles with this feature. Looks to me like this system is set up well in that those that know how and when to lock out gears to keep from frequent gear changes can and if not sure or knowledgeable in such can just leave in normal range and use Tow Haul to improve towing performance. Anything I am missing?

If in question use tow haul. My rule is 3500# or more.

Chris

/ Ford Automatic Transmission Operation
If in question use tow haul. My rule is 3500# or more. Chris

Seems a reasonable plan. Was curious if were any common practices or recommendations for the six speeds such as turning off overdrive on the four speeds. I towed several times above 10,000 lbs. with previous truck and never had a transmission issue in 160,000 miles. Hope this new one gives the same quality service.

/ Ford Automatic Transmission Operation #4  
Seems a reasonable plan. Was curious if were any common practices or recommendations for the six speeds such as turning off overdrive on the four speeds. I towed several times above 10,000 lbs. with previous truck and never had a transmission issue in 160,000 miles. Hope this new one gives the same quality service.

Don't have a Ford 6 speed but I just throw my GMC 6 speed in tow haul and forget about it. Never have gear hunting or any other annoyances with a trailer connected...The "engine braking" is a nice benefit too.

/ Ford Automatic Transmission Operation #5  
Most of the newer vehicles now, the tow/haul mode no longer disables gears. It changes shift points from a smooth "slip" shift to a more aggressive to keep from burning clutches in case a higher torque demand prevents the clutch packs from engaging all the way. It also enables earlier, more noticeable downshifting for engine braking, higher line pressures, possible converter clutch engagement changes, blah blah. Countless things when every single aspect is computer controlled. I couldn't say for sure on your model. But easy enough to tell, try it and count the shifts. I would imagine it still goes into od, just not as soon with a load. No need to turn anything else off in my opinion either

/ Ford Automatic Transmission Operation #6  
Agree with above, TH raises shift points and allows for more engine braking upon decell. No need to over think it, try towing with and without and select the mode that works best for you..

/ Ford Automatic Transmission Operation #7  
Agree with all of the above. There was/is a Ford Truck Tranny engineer on the Ford truck enthusiasts site (FTE). He explained it real simple: "Tow/Haul is nothing more than a different shift program map. Use it if you find it helps, don't use it if you don't. It won't hurt anything either way, in any circumstance." I find it helpful when dealing with heavy loads, especially the higher shift points and engine braking. I like it.

/ Ford Automatic Transmission Operation #8  
Agree with all of the above. There was/is a Ford Truck Tranny engineer on the Ford truck enthusiasts site (FTE). He explained it real simple: "Tow/Haul is nothing more than a different shift program map. Use it if you find it helps, don't use it if you don't. It won't hurt anything either way, in any circumstance." I find it helpful when dealing with heavy loads, especially the higher shift points and engine braking. I like it.

And yet you will find on FTE some dummy arguing with the tranny engineer on how the trans works, you know, tow/haul adds power, changes the gear ratios etc etc etc etc

/ Ford Automatic Transmission Operation #9  
Don't have a Ford 6 speed but I just throw my GMC 6 speed in tow haul and forget about it. Never have gear hunting or any other annoyances with a trailer connected...The "engine braking" is a nice benefit too.

Agreed, just hit tow haul and forget about it.

/ Ford Automatic Transmission Operation
Sounds like the consensus is Tow Haul if you want to and if not just move on. Easy enough.

Have read in some places where folks say need to put 1000 miles on vehicle before towing. Haven't had a chance to sit down and read manual cover-to-cover yet, but glancing through I didn't see that stated anywhere. Towed small 6'x12' trailer with zero turn today. Not sure of the weight, but probably not over 3000 lbs. should have the 1000 miles on it before having to tow anything any heavier anyway.