Ford Brake issue

/ Ford Brake issue #1  

Silvic

Gold Member
Tractor
I guess this thread is a good place for this.
I drove my wife's 1997 1/2 ton Ford today and immediately noticed the brakes were not right. The pedal was pulsing as if the anti-lock system was cycling and braking seemed to be greatly reduced. I also heard what I am pretty sure is the sound of worn-out pads on the rotor.
have not yet (due to pouring down rain) had the chance to take the wheels off to look but suspect the rotor is trashed and need new pads.

After a conversation with said wife she fessed up that she forgot to tell me. :confused:

My question is I have never had the anti-lock system pulse the pedal with worn out brake pads before.
Seemed odd so thought I would throw it out as I know there are folks on here that are truly good mechanics and have probably seen this before.

/ Ford Brake issue #2  
You might have felt feedback from warped rotors!

/ Ford Brake issue #3  
Ditto that. I have felt the same when they have been overheated and warped and can also happen supposedly when improperly torqued when changing a tire.:eek:

/ Ford Brake issue
If the vehicle was run with worn out pads for some period with the rotor being ground/damaged etc due to brake pad being basically gone, would that warp the rotor?
I always thought of rotor warp as being from brakes overheating not from wearing out and grinding.
Of course the grinding might have caused a lot of heat build up if it has been going on for a while.
Me and the wife need to talk if they have been grinding for a while.

/ Ford Brake issue #5  
The '97 has rear drums right? If so, your problem is most likely in the front. Is your truck 2wd or 4x4? If 2wd, you have serviceable front wheel bearings that will need to be addressed during the rotor/hub replacement.
Also check front brake lines. Our '97 needed new lines about 2 years ago due to cracks.

/ Ford Brake issue #6  
I had to replace a sensor on a friends Frontier for the same issue.

Chris

/ Ford Brake issue #7  
   / Ford Brake issue #8  
Fords don't have issues like this, only GM's. Just kidding. :D

That's true..... Lol

My guess is it's a wheel speed sensor. That's what it was on that Nissan. I found it with a multi meter. I measured the Ohms across all 4. The one I replaced was significantly different.

Chris

/ Ford Brake issue #9  
If the vehicle was run with worn out pads for some period with the rotor being ground/damaged etc due to brake pad being basically gone, would that warp the rotor?
I always thought of rotor warp as being from brakes overheating not from wearing out and grinding.
Of course the grinding might have caused a lot of heat build up if it has been going on for a while.

If you run with bad pads, you can damage the rotor's and yes, it will feel like a pulse in the pedal.

could it be other things? sure.. but the damaged rotors aren't helping.

/ Ford Brake issue #10  

If you run with bad pads, you can damage the rotor's and yes, it will feel like a pulse in the pedal.

could it be other things? sure.. but the damaged rotors aren't helping.