Ford Courier alternator fit a Buck?

/ Ford Courier alternator fit a Buck? #1  

Botetourt

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi 470D
I've seen this mentioned on here for other Satoh/Mits, but not specifically the S470D. From pictures, it looks close except the lower mounting lugs are spaced farther apart than the original. It looks like not enough room on my Buck for that, but maybe people use spacers or turn it upside down or something. Seems like using both lower mounting lugs would be desirable for strength and stability. Anybody done this?

More Information for REMY 14194

/ Ford Courier alternator fit a Buck? #2  
Hey Bo

I did this very thing on my D1850. I had to mount it upside down and also had to change out the regulator from 12 amp to 35 amp to match the alternator. Needed a shorter belt but instead of going to town to the parts house I made an extension for the mounting arm. It doesn't look too terribly odd, would probably look better to cut off the unused mounting lug on the alt. A lot cheaper than trying to get OEM.

Check this out. Go to post #9 by mit

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/mitsubishi-satoh/102941-d-1850fd-charging.html

David

/ Ford Courier alternator fit a Buck? #3  
Most Mitsubishi alternators are pretty much the same... I wonder if I can take the one from my old Dodge Ram-50 (Mitsu Mity Max p/u) and convert that to my Buck, and that way I get an internal regulator and 55 amps...need to look at that sometime, the mounts are the same as a Ford Courier/Mazda P/U.

/ Ford Courier alternator fit a Buck? #4  
Hi Evan,

The main reason for using the alt and reg for a Courier is that the plug connections are the same as the original from the tractor. No rewiring required.

David

/ Ford Courier alternator fit a Buck? #5  
I made the conversion to the Courier alt on my MTE2000D back in '09 for both the ease of wiring and the extra charging amps. Worked out great...especially at $59.00. I purchased mine at the local OReillys auto parts and told them right up front what the alt was for. They told me as long as I didn't do any "rigging" to the wiring or alt itself and either fried something or otherwise damaged the alternator, they would take it back. In other words, as long as I was willing to eyeball it up, check everything out and not mount it, run it then find out it didn't work then expect my money back, they were fine with ordering it for me and letting me return it if I suspected it wasn't going to work after having it in hand at home. I suspect this alternator will work on your Buck. It seems to be compatible with a multitude of the Mitsubishi made tractors of that era. I say give it a try, especially if you can return it with the same understanding I had with my local parts dealer.

/ Ford Courier alternator fit a Buck? #6  
Hi Evan,

The main reason for using the alt and reg for a Courier is that the plug connections are the same as the original from the tractor. No rewiring required.

David

OH, exactly, I understand that... I'm just thinking about getting rid of two components (Alt & external reg) and replacing them with one more modern and better output component, which I already have in my possession.
Probably not exactly going on the front burner, for that matter, not even on the stove.

/ Ford Courier alternator fit a Buck? #7  
A few years ago I read that the Courier alternator would sub for the existing one on my Buck. I went to NAPA and bought one, but it didn't actually fit. I talked to a mechanic I knew and he said to bring both of them in so he could look at them. He ended up swapping out the guts of the Courier unit into my case and I slapped it back on with no problems. Since it appears to be just a case mounting hole issue, this should work.

/ Ford Courier alternator fit a Buck? #8  
Boy is this timely...after having to remove most of my connectors to get things out of the way while changing a clutch on my MT372 several of them came apart...the plastic just crumbled in my hands on some.

I was in a junkyard yesterday and found a Ford Courier. I pulled much of the wiring harness and find that the alternator plug fits perfectly. Not only that many of the other connectors have direct correlations to ones on the tractor. Some have additional tab releases that are absent on the tractor but these are only a minor inconvenience.

As a side note I also stumbled on a similar vintage (1983) Mazda pickup, this is the same truck as the ford so here is another source.

I've included some comparison pics

Now back to the garage to chase the electrical gremlins I introduced by moving all those wires around...

Attachments

• IMG_1323.jpg
    IMG_1323.jpg
    580.8 KB · Views: 626
  • IMG_1324.jpg
    IMG_1324.jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_1325.jpg
    IMG_1325.jpg
    508.9 KB · Views: 561
   / Ford Courier alternator fit a Buck? #9  
I know, I know, bringing a long dead post back to life but I’m hoping this may help someone else.
I went with an alternator from a ‘72 ford courier as well. My plugs were identical to it. The mounting positions did not match up perfectly and a shorter belt would be needed as well as mounting it upside down. I ended up taking the original alternators front cover off and clocked it so that while still upside down, I didn’t need a shorter belt. Charging system seems to be working well now. I will test it out tomorrow.