Ford "double" clutch?

/ Ford "double" clutch? #1  

MMagis

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 3000, JD 2550
I think I might have figured out why I'm having such a hard time determining the correct clutch for my 3000, I think I'm misunderstanding the terminology. I have an April 1970, 8 speed w/ live PTO. Would this be considered a "double clutch? The New Holland site lists both single and double, and I've been concentrating on single.

Thanks for any help. Tractor is sitting in the field, and I'm just hoping the snow misses us. :laughing:

/ Ford "double" clutch?
I guess this is where I’m getting confused. I know it’s a dual stage (live PTO), but I didn’t think that was the same as a double clutch. I’ve always heard the term used in a different way, such as with heavy trucks where it has nothing to do with PTO. Is this where I’m wrong, it is in fact a double clutch?
I’m sure I’m making this harder than it should be. I never expected this many options for this tractor.

/ Ford "double" clutch? #4  
I've heard of a "2 stage clutch" (noun) for tractors ( 1-stage for drive, another stage for PTO).
I've only heard the term "double clutch" to refer to a technique (verb) on how to shift. Used when downshifting, particularly when down shifting unsynchronized transmissions. (i.e. clutch, move lever to neutral, release clutch, rev the engine to match expected lower gear engine rev's, push in clutch again (i.e. the double clutching), move lever into lower gear.)

/ Ford "double" clutch? #5  
I guess this is where I’m getting confused. I know it’s a dual stage (live PTO), but I didn’t think that was the same as a double clutch. I’ve always heard the term used in a different way, such as with heavy trucks where it has nothing to do with PTO. Is this where I’m wrong, it is in fact a double clutch?
I’m sure I’m making this harder than it should be. I never expected this many options for this tractor.
2 different meanings
Double clutching in a truck is just to help shift easier since the transmission is not synchronized.
The driver pushs the clutch peddle twice to shift.
Dual stage clutch in a tractor means it has 2 clutch discs. One disc for the drive and one disc for the PTO

/ Ford "double" clutch?
Thanks, I was getting hung up thinking it would be called “dual stage” rather than “double clutch” in the New Holland diagram.