Ford NH 655D backhoe fan belt change

/ Ford NH 655D backhoe fan belt change #11  
Do I have to take off the 4 bolts on the fly wheel pulley or can I just unbolt the pump and slide it fowards to separate the spline and then slip on the belt? Thanks for your help!
I only know 555 and it's been a few moons since then. If it looks like you can undo the pump, I'd go that route. Taking the crank pulley bolts loose is a cramped fit for a young slim fella. The shaft just splines in and the pump being bolted up is what holds it in there. It can't come out when pump is bolted up. I had to take the engine out of four in a row, so I learned. Only one was in shop. Rest were on the job site. The reason I avoid the crank pulley bolts is because they come out easy, but getting them bolts started back can be a headache.

/ Ford NH 655D backhoe fan belt change #12  
One thing to add about loosening the pump mount bolts is that the lines can be kind of stiff making the pump a little stubborn.

/ Ford NH 655D backhoe fan belt change
Well, I was able to get the four bolts out of the crank pully and could only move the shaft back about a 1/4 of an inch. Like others recommended, I unbolted the hydraulic pump and was able to move it forward about a 1/2 inch or so to provide enough clearance to get the belt through and into position. Bolting up the crank pully wasn't too difficult as I could move the drive shaft by hand to align up the holes. To get the bolts into position where I could reach in with a wrench, I would go to the U-joint by the pump, insert a screwdriver in the U-joint, and push/pull to rotate the driveshaft into position where the bolts would be reachable. I took me nearly all day to get the belt into proper position.

It was getting late last night and I'm working outside here in Northern Michigan. Unfortunately, after spending at least an hour, I wasn't able to get the belt over the alternator. After the belt was over the two engine pulleys, I re-installed the alternator. With the alternator in place, I wasn't able to get the belt over the alternator pulley. I tried slipping a screwdriver under the belt and "pry" it over the alternator pulley, but still wasn't able to get it over the pulley. I took the alternator off, slipped the belt over the pully, and then tried to bolt the alternator back on the engine, and again, I wasn't able to align the holes to get the two screws through.

I have the same brand/part # of the belt that was on previously (Gates 9555D Green Stripe) but I'm having trouble getting the belt over the Alternator pulley. Any advice/recommendations on how to get the belt installed?

/ Ford NH 655D backhoe fan belt change #14  
Not being an oem belt, it sounds like it was a close enough fit originally. You risk wearing the alternator or water pump bearings prematurely if you do get the belt on.
I am not trying to be a smart-ass, but the best advice is to get a longer belt.

/ Ford NH 655D backhoe fan belt change
Not being an oem belt, it sounds like it was a close enough fit originally. You risk wearing the alternator or water pump bearings prematurely if you do get the belt on.
I am not trying to be a smart-ass, but the best advice is to get a longer belt.
It was my fault I couldn't get the belt on. The steel bracket that bolts to the alternator to keep the belt tensioned was out of position. It prevented me from moving the alternator in so I could get the belt on properly. Today, when I looked at it, I wondered if I could move that bracket inward.....I pushed hard on it and it pivoted inward so I could now get the belt on the alternator. Got the backhoe running today thanks to all the great responses to my post. Couldn't have done it without you guys! Thank you!