Ford Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Ford Production #11  
assuming the chips are made in China?

/ Ford Production #13  
The local Ford dealers seem to have plenty of new and used cars and trucks in stock. But next door, the Chevy dealer has very few Chevys, just one new pickup, and a few Cadillacs, while their Nissan branch on the same lot seems pretty well supplied. They have a storage lot across the street that was always full of new and used cars and trucks, but is almost completely empty now.
They have had a new shiny red Corvette in the showroom for a couple of months now though.

/ Ford Production #14  
Shortages, contrived or otherwise, can play right into a manafacturer's hands with higher selling prices!
They are already way overdue for a market adjustment. A new anything is out of reach for me and many others.

Good thing I'm retired and driving a fraction of what I did when I was working so I plan to make my current fleet last.

Wife is talking about selling everything and moving to a Carribian island. I guess we will need to stay in walking distance of everything if we do that.

/ Ford Production #15  
Why are they saying there is a chip shortage? I haven't heard of any chip makers slowing down or incurring a production issue. Is there some new high demand item consuming them I'm not aware of?

My job takes me to the different Chip makers around here and I know one is building a new, additional facility that should be in production in 2-4 years with some of the latest technology in chip making.

/ Ford Production #16  
12 years ago?

I can’t remember what I are 2 days ago!

MoKelly

Just my experience in the coal business. Starting in 2009 and by 2012, coal mining took a steep dive into bankruptcy. Thousands of jobs lost. All because no one in that leadership " followed the science" in clean coal technology. Instead invested trillions in solar and wind. Which is and will be a heavy burden to pay for.

For us in northeast Wyoming, the real crisis was economic impact. Our suicide rate per capita was the highest in the nation for a while.

This Pandemic is a walk in the park compared to that timeframe. I lost two friends to suicide. None to Covid.

The big news back then was having a third rest room for those who don't know what sex they are. We were never a thought.

So yes, I remember it very well.

/ Ford Production
Why are they saying there is a chip shortage? I haven't heard of any chip makers slowing down or incurring a production issue. Is there some new high demand item consuming them I'm not aware of?

My job takes me to the different Chip makers around here and I know one is building a new, additional facility that should be in production in 2-4 years with some of the latest technology in chip making.

Just to illustrate how reliable the news can be - one outlet blamed it on the new PS6 gaming system.

MoKelly

/ Ford Production #19  
Just to illustrate how reliable the news can be - one outlet blamed it on the new PS6 gaming system.

MoKelly
There's a bit of truth to that. High demand for consumer electronics (like the PS6) have put a strain on chip makers.

Couple that with a fire at a major Japanese chip maker, and you can also blame Texas and the power grid fiasco they had.

/ Ford Production
There's a bit of truth to that. High demand for consumer electronics (like the PS6) have put a strain on chip makers.

Couple that with a fire at a major Japanese chip maker, and you can also blame Texas and the power grid fiasco they had.

I think that is too simplistic and an easy excuse. I believe It’s more due to mismanagement by auto executives.

What kind of management allows 70% of its total industry supply (a supply that, if interrupted, puts you out of business) to come from one company or one plant or even one country?

No contingency planning?

No risk management assessment?

IMG_1385.JPG

MoKelly

Status
Not open for further replies.