Fords aluminium body

/ Fords aluminium body #11  
Chrysler products have been using aluminum body panels (mostly hood/trunk) at least off and on since the 70s. The so called "Feather Duster" was one of the first.

How do they prevent galvanic corrosion where aluminum and steel meet?
Pontiac built a few 389 and SD-421 Tempests and Catalinas in the very early 1960s with aluminum bumpers, inner fenders, radiator core support, fenders, hoods, intake manifolds, even headers.
They went as far to reduce weight as to "swiss cheese" the frames by drilling holes in them

Just don't lean on the body panels, and talk about holding their value over the long term...

/ Fords aluminium body #12  
Chrysler also built lightweights, but that was strictly a drag racing thing. I’m not afraid to lean on my F150, although I don’t because I hate fine scratches.

/ Fords aluminium body #13  
The hood, front fenders and tailgate on my 1993 Volvo 960 are all aluminum. There is a slight amount of corrosion (bubbling paint) on the tailgate but not anywhere else that I've noticed. These cars have been described by an enthusiast's magazine as "remarkably immune to rust" I'm a bit skeptical of using it on the actual body due to it's difficulty of being repaired if damaged.

/ Fords aluminium body #14  
I'm not metallurgist, but its my understanding that when aluminum corrodes, the oxide protects the metal underneath, so further corrosion is prevented. Unlike iron oxide that is porous and further corrodes the metal. I can see how the Fords would avoid galvanic corrosion (dissimilar metals) by isolating the body from frame with rubber or poly mounts. Don't know how the other manufactures do it.

We have a few 2015 and 2016 F150's at work and they look great. Just a little surface rust showing on the frames, but the bodies look brand new.

/ Fords aluminium body #15  
Keep in mind the F150’s are bodied completely in aluminum. Not just the outer panels but everything underneath, cab, floors, inner panels, rockers etc. They are body on frame so the frame, suspension, axles and all the other components that are normally steel or cast iron still are.

/ Fords aluminium body #16  
My friend bought a new F150, not long after a hailstorm came through. It dented up waaaay easier/worse than steel and all had to be replaced, not repaired.

On new, I'd want it replaced too, but when it gets older, I'd rather it could be repaired.

SR

/ Fords aluminium body
The hood, front fenders and tailgate on my 1993 Volvo 960 are all aluminum. There is a slight amount of corrosion (bubbling paint) on the tailgate but not anywhere else that I've noticed. These cars have been described by an enthusiast's magazine as "remarkably immune to rust" I'm a bit skeptical of using it on the actual body due to it's difficulty of being repaired if damaged.
I've observed that lack of rust myself and was looking for a xc (90?) for something used for my wife. Never did find one with under 100k. I still think it's a handsome vehicle and better looking than the newer models.

/ Fords aluminium body #19  
My 18’ F150 at work with 46k miles and only swirl
maker car washes is holding up well.

My 18’ F250 is the same at 32k miles.

Zero body issues on either.

/ Fords aluminium body #20  
No issues with the body on my 2017. I'm starting to see some surface rust on the steel frame.