Fordson Major

/ Fordson Major #1  

RichZ

Veteran Member
White Creek, New York, Washington County, on the V
Tractor
Kubota 4630 with cab and loader
In my quest for a 50+ hp tractor with a loader, last week I looked at a Fordson Major with a loader. It ran nice, and the loader (not a trip loader) worked well. But all four cylinders for the loaders leaked hydraulic fluid. It also badly needed a paint job, was missing the breather stack and the oil bath filter. The dealer went down to $3000 with free delivery, but I won't even consider it unless he fixes the hydraulic problems and repalces what's missing. Anyone have any experience with one of these? It ran well, and the loader was real smooth and easy to operate. A dairy farmer friend of mine says it's surpirsingly underpowered from the pto and wouldn't be able to run a square bailer and a mower conditioner. Any opinions?

Thanks!

Rich
"What a long strange trip it's been."

/ Fordson Major #2  
Never have used one for pto work but they will out pull anything in its class. A lot of fun to run also. The dealer should be able to repack the cylinders and at least get the parts for the tractor at cost if they want to sell it.

/ Fordson Major
Thanks, Steve. I go thru Yesterday's Tractors ads frequently. So far, there's nothing I can use./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif
Prices of vintage tractors vary depending on where you are located. If this tractor were in better shape, it would be a great deal for new York. I'm still looking, I don't need it until haying season, so I still have time. Auction season is starting, so I may find something at an auction!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Rich

/ Fordson Major #5  
Hi !

You must know, that roundbalers, also the smaller and older ones like the Claas-Rollant 120 had been constructed for bigger tractors like an old Fordson. Also baling is a different work for an old tractor cause of the dust. But there is one fact, I'm intrested in: I heard much of these auctions, what is it? Bankrupt Farmers, or dealers, which try to sell their orphans?

Bernhard, Derichsweiler, Germany

/ Fordson Major #6  
Around here the bigger dealers usually have a auction to get rid of their used stock, the biggest dealers sometimes have 2 auctions, 1 in spring and 1 in fall. There are quite a few auctions where farms go under and there are a lot of consignment auctions. A lot of fun to go and watch as some people do get carried away bidding.

/ Fordson Major #7  
Hi Robert!

Thanks for Your Replay!

I can believe that it is very funny to go to an auction, but I also believe that You can spend a lot of money for Junk.
Isn't it so?

Bernhard, Derichsweiler, Germany

/ Fordson Major
Bernhard, yes going to auctions are fun! And you have to know what you're buying to avoid getting junk. But if you know what you're doing, you can get some good equipment pretty cheap.
Your command of English is quite good. Mein Deutsch is nicht gut!

Rich

/ Fordson Major #9  
Like what Rich said, if you know about machinery then you will be ok 95% of the time. I do not buy much that I can not completly inspect before the bidding starts and so far I have had no problems with anything that I have bought. However, I still see people paying out the nose for tractors with 10 hours left before they blow, then they swear up a storm and blame everybody but themselves. Auctions are always fun. Later