Foreclosure Sale - How do they work?

/ Foreclosure Sale - How do they work? #1  

QueBota

Gold Member
Tractor
B2910
This may not be the right forum, apologies in advance if that is the case.

Saw this in the paper last weekend and I was shocked, it is the property across and just down the road from me. Nice enough fellow, I believe he was using his property as an ATM (cash out or multiple cash out refinances ) during the rapid rise in property values. I speak to him several times a week and he never indicated he was having any problems, we may have been able to help him out. The property in our area doubled during the boom time and has come down about 25% off peak.

I will include the notice that was in the local paper for reference, it is a little long but covers the information.

My question is in the above title, how do these things work. My neighbor and I may want to step in an attempt to purchase, property is in move in condition, hate to see this forced sale negatively impact our lives.

Thanks,
Dave

Bierman, Geesing & Ward, LLC 4520 East West Highway, Suite 200 Bethesda, MD 20814 (301) 961-6555 SUBSTITUTE TRUSTEES' SALE OF IMPROVED REAL PROPERTY nnn CCCCC CC. CCCCCCC, MD nnnnn Under a power of sale contained in a certain Deed of Trust from Cccccccc C. Cccccccccc dated December 18, 2006 and recorded in Liber nnnnn, Folio nnn among the Land Records of Anne Arundel Co., MD, with an original principal balance of $522,500.00 and an original interest rate of 8.900% default having occurred under the terms thereof, the Sub. Trustees will sell at public auction at the Circuit Court for Anne Arundel Co., at the Court House Door, 7 Church Circle, Annapolis, on FEBRUARY 10, 2009 AT 9:48 A.M. ALL THAT FEE-SIMPLE LOT OF GROUND, together with the buildings and improvements thereon situated in Anne Arundel Co., MD and more fully described in the aforesaid Deed of Trust. The property, which is improved by a dwelling, will be sold in an "as is" condition and subject to conditions, restrictions and agreements of record affecting the same, if any, and with no warranty of any kind. Terms of Sale: A deposit of $55,000 in cash, cashier's check or certified check required at time of sale. Balance of the purchase price, together with interest on the unpaid purchase money at the current rate contained in the Deed of Trust Note from the date of sale to the date funds are received by the Trustees, payable in cash within ten days of final ratification of the sale by the Circuit Court. There will be no abatement of interest due from the purchaser in the event additional funds are tendered before settlement or if settlement is delayed for any reason. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE FOR THE PURCHASER. Adjustment of current year real property taxes will be made as of the date of sale and thereafter assumed by the purchaser. All past due property taxes paid by the purchaser. All other public charges or assessments, including water/sewer charges, ground rent, whether incurred prior to or after the sale, and all other costs incidental to settlement to be paid by the purchaser. All condo/HOA dues will be adjusted to the date of sale. All transfer taxes and settlement expenses shall be paid by the Purchaser. Purchaser is responsible for obtaining physical possession of the property, and assumes risk of loss or damage to the property from the date of sale. If ratification or settlement is delayed for any reason there shall be no abatement of interest. The sale is subject to post-sale audit of the status of the loan with the loan servicer including, but not limited to, determination of whether the borrower entered into any repayment agreement, reinstated or paid off the loan prior to the sale. In any such event, this sale shall be null and void, and the Purchaser's sole remedy, in law or equity, shall be the return of the deposit without interest. If Purchaser fails to settle within ten days of ratification, he agrees to pay, attorneys' fees in the amount of $750.00, plus costs, if the Trustees have moved to resell the property. Purchaser waives personal service of any paper filed in connection with such a motion on himself and/or any principal or corporate designee, and expressly agrees to accept service of any such paper by regular mail directed to the address provided by said bidder at the time of the sale. If Purchaser defaults under these terms, deposit shall be forfeited. The Trustees may then resell the property at the risk and cost of the defaulting purchaser. The defaulted purchaser shall not be entitled to any surplus proceeds resulting from said resale even if such surplus results from improvements to the property by said defaulted purchaser. If Trustees are unable to convey either insurable or marketable title, or if the sale is not ratified by the Circuit Court for any reason, the Purchaser's sole remedy, at law or equity, is the return of the deposit without interest. Purchaser agrees to pay $295.00 at settlement to the Seller's attorney for review of the settlement documents and an additional fee of $295.00 for review of any motion which may be subsequently filed with the Court to substitute a purchaser herein. PLEASE CONSULT Alex Cooper auctioneers FOR STATUS OF UPCOMING SALES Howard N. Bierman, Jacob Geesing, Carrie M. Ward, Substitute Trustees LICENSE NOS. A00004, A00176, A00177, A00193, A00227, A00234, A00297, A00307, A00338 313720 2/06 0000313720-01

Last edited:
   / Foreclosure Sale - How do they work? #2  
If it has been turned over to the auction company there may be nothing you can do except bid on it. However, like all things in life all is not always true. You can contact the auction company and ask about pre purchase or try and fined the original lien holder and try to but it from if they still have the option to withdraw it from auction. For any of that to happen you are going to have to offer close to full value of the property else they will let it go to auction and hope for better. Another possibility is to contact the owner and see if he has any options to stop the auction and then try to work out some sort of deal. Time is of the essance in this.

/ Foreclosure Sale - How do they work? #3  
In this area (central Indiana), a sale like this has to go through a Sheriff's sale. There is usually a "limbo" period where neither the bank nor the owner knows who really owns it or has the right to sell it, then it finally goes up for Sheriff's sale. When that happens, anyone can go in and bid on a property at the sale. BUT the original owner has the right to redeem the property (buy it back) if it's only up for the back taxes, by paying the amount due and any penalties within one year, I believe. If they do that, and you file the right paperwork, you can get your money back. This may not be how it works with an auction sale held by the mortgage holder.

/ Foreclosure Sale - How do they work? #4  
Not familiar with MD law but looks like a straigtforward foreclosure. Property is now up for auction, winning bidder of the auction has the property. In some places the borrower could probably go to the mortgage holder and pay off the remaining mortgage and stop the foreclosure procedure but usually only the borrower can do it. As long as the auction goes ahead (and it most likely will ) the mortgage holder will take the proceeds and refund any surplus (if there is some) to the borrower or other debt holders. Not sure how much the property is worth now or how much is left on the mortgage but usually the banks try and avoid calling default unless the value of the property is near or below the value of the mortgage or it is clear that they will never be repaid by the party oweing them money. There may be secondary debts on the property as well. Half a million mortgage calls for some sizable payments to pay off --- was it a NINJA loan?

/ Foreclosure Sale - How do they work? #5  
original principal balance of $522,500.00 and an original interest rate of 8.900%

That is a very high interest rate. The borrower may well have been in deep trouble when he took out this loan.

Before you take any action here, especially if your neighbor is also involved, get your intentions clear.

Buy and resell for profit?

Buy and hold property for your own use?

Buy and rent out, possibly to original owner?

Help original owner in some way?

Ask a local lawyer what happens to second, third, etc. trust deeds? Find out of there are any.

Many times a bank will do a "short sale" which is to sell the property for less than the mortgage balance and write off the rest. Even if they won't, it seems to me that a guy with ~$130k could get a new conforming loan at $417k (the max for conforming in many areas) with interest in the 5% range. If they will do a short sale even less cash is required. But the problem is that you have now taken on a lot of debt.

/ Foreclosure Sale - How do they work?
I imagine we would try to buy and rent, if the sales price was reasonable the monthly costs should almost equal the rental income. When/if the market improves the property should be able to sold at a modest profit. I guess we are trying to gain some control over what could become a bad situation. However you never know, the people that obtain the house via auction may be the worlds greatest neighbors. The gentleman that lives there now is retired and is not really a good neighbor/friend but he doesn't make any trouble either, like most of us here, very quiet and mind your own business but always willing to help anyone in need.

According to the tax records I could research online he bought the place in 1995 for 181K. I imagine the cash out refi's pushed the balance up to over 500K. He is probably having a hard time making the payment (taxes alone are close to 4K per year) and with the current drop in property values doesn't see the sense in making what must be at least a $2,500 payment every month on property that currently has a market value in the low 400K area (he is upside down in a big way).

I called the auction company, not very helpful. They told me to come out and bid on the property, I believe there is a reserve. The bank may be willing to short sell, take a little hair cut, but they don't appear willing to take a beating at this time.

We had two similar properties in the area sell in less than a couple of months for close to asking price. There aren't a lot of homes in this area and even in the current market they tend to sell if priced reasonably.

Not sure what to do, I guess like everyone else I never thought I would see this happen in my area. A new owner, who is a bad neighbor, could make life difficult for the rest of us. We share an access road and although we are somewhat rural, it is still a bit of a neighborhood/community.

Thanks Guys,
Dave

/ Foreclosure Sale - How do they work? #7  
Most places the auctioneer must tell you if there is a reserve. The bank will lose under any reasonable scenario and you can't help your neighbour any more (unless you are extemely wealthy and generous --in which case PM me :p) If it goes cheap and you can afford it great - otherwise wait and meet your new neighbour -- they won't be deadbeats the way things are now!

/ Foreclosure Sale - How do they work?
Just got a call back from the auction co. They will announce the reserve price at the beginning of the auction, that will be the price at which the auction begins.

If there is a no sale at the auction the bank will turn the house over to a broker/real estate co and the house will be listed on the MLIS system. No chance of buying directly from the bank unless you attend and win the auction.

This particular bank doesn't have a "bank owned" real estate department with which you can bargain. I know a few folks who have purchased properties directly from banks at what I considered to be very good prices. The bank wanted to get rid of the property and were willing to write down the loss to get it off the books.

If the owner or his agent appears at any time prior to the beginning of the auction with the necessary funds to bring the account current, the auction will be canceled. Even if we had known of his problems, I doubt my next door neighbor or myself, or even both of us together could/would have made the current owner up to date. He has to be at least 50K behind and has at least a -100K equity position in his place.

I believe he has not been paying his mortgage for a while and just living there until the bitter end. He probably figured why make payments on something he was going to loose eventually. I would have never guessed anything was wrong, everything appeared "normal".

Thanks,
Dave

/ Foreclosure Sale - How do they work? #9  
If there is a no sale at the auction the bank will turn the house over to a broker/real estate co and the house will be listed on the MLIS system. No chance of buying directly from the bank unless you attend and win the auction.

This particular bank doesn't have a "bank owned" real estate department with which you can bargain. I know a few folks who have purchased properties directly from banks at what I considered to be very good prices. The bank wanted to get rid of the property and were willing to write down the loss to get it off the books.

That is highly unlikely.

There are 2 ways the bank can "bid" the property. Either ballance of the loan on the property or the apprised value. usually the selling price (or reserve) is going to be the lower of the 2 values.

Generally speaking all the bank wants is its money back. But in todays world if the apprised value is less than the loan amount, then they generally write off the diffrence.

If the property doesnt sell at apprised value at the auction, Its been my experience its unlikely to sell at that price +7-10% on MLS.

If the bank doesnt sell it then they have to sit on it and wait till the value goes back up. In todays market this will take time. Durring that time the bank has to pay extremely high insurance on the vacant house and interest on its own loan. Therefor most banks dont sit on them. its not out of the question for them to sit on them for a few months, but the idea that they can sell it for more on MLS than at auction (today) isnt likely.

If it doesnt sell, I foresee having a second auction in the future with a lower reserve price.

/ Foreclosure Sale - How do they work? #10  
I agree with Schism -- the reserve should be relatively low -- and if they don't get it then some loans officer will be in deeper do-do than he/she is now. Some friends of mine just put in an offer and got (after 3 weeks of putzing around with the bank) a vacation property that the bank had 750 in for 400. Cash is king.
If you are serious about bidding make sure you know what the closing costs will be.