Forget greasing the squeaky wheel. . .

/ Forget greasing the squeaky wheel. . . #1  

jinman

Rest in Peace
Tractor
NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee
. . . and fix that squeaky floor. PLEASE!!! :irked:

I have to admit that a lot of questionable things were done when my house was built, and that I didn't know enough to demand different. Being a multi-story split level house, I have lots of floors that aren't on a slab. When they put down the sub-flooring, I could tell that it was good quality, but I didn't know to demand that the floors would be glued and screwed to the joists. They nailed the floor. So now, 11 years later, I have squeaky floors in two high traffic areas, the kitchen and the walkway from the living/dining room into the kitchen. It started about 5 years ago and has just gotten to the point that I've been ready to tear out the ceiling on the rec-room below and screw in angle brackets that pull the floor down and secure it so it cannot move and squeak.

On a whim, I did an internet search and a product showed up called "Squeeeeek No More." I watched some videos of this product and read the reviews. I figured it had to be a good product because there were few negative reviews; mostly 4s and 5s.
So I ordered the contractor pack through Amazon to have a more robust carpet fixture (aluminum) and more fasteners and joist locators. The whole thing was less than $50.

My kit arrived last week and today I decided to give it a try. I have a very good stud finder and had no trouble finding all the joists. I laid out my whole kitchen floor every 6" on the joists I could get to. Of course, the joists under the cabinets aren't squeaking. I also measured every 16" for the carpeted walkway joists and installed the fasteners right through berber carpet. The nice thing about this kit is it works on carpet, hardwood, or vinyl. If you have tile, you'll need another solution, but you might drill through the grout lines and be able to secure the floor under tile if that's a problem.

I'm one happy camper. Every single squeak I had is gone. What a great job this product does. I don't know who is happier, me or my wife.:cool2::cool2::cool2: O'Berry Enterprises has a winner product here. If you need to fix squeaks, give it a try.

/ Forget greasing the squeaky wheel. . . #2  
Well I ordered mine.. dang hallway is sqeak squeek. SQUEEEK.. I hope this fixes it..

James K0UA

/ Forget greasing the squeaky wheel. . . #3  
I like my hardwood squeak... just inside my door, I can hear some one walking in the door from anywhere in the house. Same thing from my screen door, I can hear that being opened from anywhere in the house too. It's my poor mans early warning system since I don't have a E-2C flying over head.

mark

/ Forget greasing the squeaky wheel. . .
James, I think you will be happy too. My kitchen has a cushioned vinyl floor with a pattern that looks like tile. I've never cared for tile in kitchens and this stuff is the $35/yd (2002 prices) stuff that was more expensive than tile. I like it because it's easy to clean and shows no wear. The faux grout joints and texture of the vinyl made the screws disappear. I tapped on each hole with the hammer after the screw shank popped off and the vinyl closed up. Both my wife and grandson said they cannot see the holes. That's probably the most exciting thing after how well the product worked to stop those squeaks. If your hallway is carpet, you won't even have that to deal with. Truly, finding and centering your fixture over a floor joist is the hardest thing to do. Be careful if you used the joist locator screws, they get very hot. Don't touch them when you extract them. Be sure to let me know how this turns out. Either way I want to know. I read about very few failures online. This morning I was in the kitchen fixing coffee and a navel orange for breakfast and I had a smile on my face because there were no squeaks.:thumbsup:

/ Forget greasing the squeaky wheel. . . #5  
James, I think you will be happy too. My kitchen has a cushioned vinyl floor with a pattern that looks like tile. I've never cared for tile in kitchens and this stuff is the $35/yd (2002 prices) stuff that was more expensive than tile. I like it because it's easy to clean and shows no wear. The faux grout joints and texture of the vinyl made the screws disappear. I tapped on each hole with the hammer after the screw shank popped off and the vinyl closed up. Both my wife and grandson said they cannot see the holes. That's probably the most exciting thing after how well the product worked to stop those squeaks. If your hallway is carpet, you won't even have that to deal with. Truly, finding and centering your fixture over a floor joist is the hardest thing to do. Be careful if you used the joist locator screws, they get very hot. Don't touch them when you extract them. Be sure to let me know how this turns out. Either way I want to know. I read about very few failures online. This morning I was in the kitchen fixing coffee and a navel orange for breakfast and I had a smile on my face because there were no squeaks.:thumbsup:

I will report back when I get it done. Yes it is carpet, and this year the squeak is really bad. Of course it is worse in the winter when the humidity is low in the house and the wood shrinks. Thanks for the warning on the Joist locator screws. Yep don't take but a couple seconds of spinning a screw like that in wood to generate some heat!

James K0UA

/ Forget greasing the squeaky wheel. . . #6  
are these screws that snap off at a certain depth? My framer didn't have time to screw the flooring, so it was glued and nailed. (I'm the framer) The floors still squeak, even with the glue.

are these screws that snap off at a certain depth? My framer didn't have time to screw the flooring, so it was glued and nailed. (I'm the framer) The floors still squeak, even with the glue.

Yep! The screws snap off about 1/4" below the surface. With the carpet adapter, the driver can only drive the screw so far down and the adapter has a "T" shaped slot you put over the screw and just snap it off below the carpet.

We've been walking on that kitchen floor all weekend and not a single squeak has returned.:thumbsup: However, my wife discovered another tiny squeak around our dining room table, so I'll be fixing that one soon. The cool thing is I was expecting to spend thousands of dollars to get this fixed and a simple tool and fasteners for less than $50 has done the job very well. The This Old House team also uses and suggests the O'Berry Squeeeeeek No More! attachment.

/ Forget greasing the squeaky wheel. . . #8  
Ok here is the report, I put in the screws as shown 4 inches apart along 3 of the floor joist's. I used about 25 or 30 screws No fix, No change, still squeaked. I went down in the basement and had the wife walk the hallway, as I put in angle brackets etc. No change.. Hmmm Noticed that the most noise seemed to come from the north wall of the hallway not the center of the hall way. The problem is the plate on the wall, some nail in that was squeaking when you walk in the mid span of the hallway and it moves the 2x12 just a fraction.. A couple of 3 inch screws drilled in from the basement thru the 2x12 at an angle to go up into the 2x4 plate at the bottom of the wall.. and WA-LA. Squeak NO MORE!:cool2:
So my problem was not fixable by using the product, It was not the subfloor nails squeaking over the joists, like many floor problems are. I am sure it would have fixed it if that was the problem, but that was not my problem. The product worked as advertised, they all snapped off properly with the fixture and could not even see where they went in after pulling out the tops of the screws. So I spent my money, and did not benefit from the product, but it did get me off of my butt to try to fix it, and with some time and help it was fixed.

James K0UA

Glad you finally found your problem. That's a weird one. My installation is still squeak free in my kitchen and carpeted walkway. The product not only fixed my squeak, but it did it long-term it seems.

/ Forget greasing the squeaky wheel. . . #10  
Glad you finally found your problem. That's a weird one. My installation is still squeak free in my kitchen and carpeted walkway. The product not only fixed my squeak, but it did it long-term it seems.

Yes, it was a weird problem and not what I expected, but as you know things are not fixed until you track them down and actually fix them:)

James K0UA