Forgive my Ignorance -- Shuttle Shift / FEL Use

/ Forgive my Ignorance -- Shuttle Shift / FEL Use #1  

Pierrepont

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra
I might buy a second Mahindra.

I've never operated a Shuttle Shift.

When driving the bucket into a load of gravel for example, do you manage control or "precision" by slipping the clutch a little?

With my 2516 Hydro the precision is obviously controlled / achieved with the treadle.

If slipping the clutch is involved, can the clutch take this long term?

Thanks.

/ Forgive my Ignorance -- Shuttle Shift / FEL Use #2  
When I drive into a pile with my shuttle I go in as far as I can just before the tires spin and curl and lift, push in the clutch and change direction. Precision is obviously controlled by what gear 1234 / range HML .

/ Forgive my Ignorance -- Shuttle Shift / FEL Use #3  
No, you should never slip a clutch. The advantage/disadvantage that a s/s transmission has is, a "hydro" trans looses some HP going through the pumps/motors, this does not happen with a gear tractor (s/s). You will loose the fine control that a hydro offers. Generally it seem's that the hydro trans are popular on smaller tractors that are more apt to be suburban users and much simpler to operate.
jjlite's operation (above) is typical operation with a shuttle shift. The "shuttle shift" really just means clutchless direction change. Without it, you would normally have to clutch, wait for the tractor to completely stop moving, (to avoid gear grinding) shift gears (direction) then release the clutch. With a s/s, you generally can release the throttle, reverse the s/s lever, and throttle back up.

/ Forgive my Ignorance -- Shuttle Shift / FEL Use #4  
Never slip the clutch. Just before going into the pile of dirt or gravel, shift into low gear and then ease into it. Luckily, I learned this after I adjusted the clutch out (almost all the way!) AND before eating the clutch.
hugs, Brandi

/ Forgive my Ignorance -- Shuttle Shift / FEL Use #5  
Use of the foot throttle to control RPM's and speed (within a gear) while doing loader work should allow you a good degree of precision. Leave the hand throttle at idle.

/ Forgive my Ignorance -- Shuttle Shift / FEL Use #6  
A synchronized shuttle shift will require the use of a foot clutch while a hydraulic shuttle can be operated via foot clutch or by moving the hand operated shuttle shifter. As others have said, control with the proper gear selection and foot throttle, it can be done with the hand throttle at a steady RPM, but I get more control with the foot throttle. Use the clutch the same as when changing gears.

We have both types and with a bit of practice the shuttle shift especially the hydro is pretty quick with good control, not quite as precise, but good. I do get more tired after a few hours on the shuttle than the HST, but I'm pretty old.

/ Forgive my Ignorance -- Shuttle Shift / FEL Use #7  
I've used extesively, straight gear, synchronized shuttle, hydraulic shuttle, and HST. I never tried CVT.

For most loader work, HST get s the nod, but I'm a gear guy. Gear work is generally slower.
Hydraulic shuttle (GST) you don't use the clutch and can be a wash with HST if you are traveling over 30- 50' to dump. For Straight Gear or Shuttle, in softer material keep RPM @ 1300-1500 RPM, use foot throtte for more RPM, and use top gear, low range or 1st gear high range.

Don,t slip cluch. If motr bogs going int the pile, use a lower gear.

In harder material use 1st or 2nd low range and creep into the mateial at 1200 RPM, it's going to be slow, but you save the clutch.

/ Forgive my Ignorance -- Shuttle Shift / FEL Use #8  
Lil help for some additional understanding for me please.
Looking at the 1533 Shuttle, main question is-- when using the shuttle shifter to change from forward to reverse, do you use the clutch?
Basically, I've only ever used a standard trans in a tractor. You use the clutch to move, shift, stop, just like a normal vehicle. How does the shuttle in the 1533 differ from that? Do you still need the clutch to start and stop?

/ Forgive my Ignorance -- Shuttle Shift / FEL Use #9  
if you have worked nothing but an HST you will most likely burn a clutch out of a shuttle pretty quick imo... I would just stick with that.

/ Forgive my Ignorance -- Shuttle Shift / FEL Use #10  
Lil help for some additional understanding for me please.
Looking at the 1533 Shuttle, main question is-- when using the shuttle shifter to change from forward to reverse, do you use the clutch?
Basically, I've only ever used a standard trans in a tractor. You use the clutch to move, shift, stop, just like a normal vehicle. How does the shuttle in the 1533 differ from that? Do you still need the clutch to start and stop?

its all the same other than you have a forward and reverse shifter that you still clutch between... gear transmissions not being synchronized helped people not burn clutches as easy... now with syncros being so easy to shift and made to go forward and reverse with ease it also makes it very easy for someone to ride the clutch or rest their foot on it when doing a lot of back and forth work also not shifting properly or to hastily ... iv seen it many many times... you have got to be disciplined to keeping your foot of the clutch if your not shifting.. not shifting fast and dumping the clutch at high rpms with heavy loads or into a pile of dirt... a lot more to learn than people think with the shuttles