Forty Grand? For a Stove?

/ Forty Grand? For a Stove? #91  
Step - it is obvious that you and I can spend this money and not place ourselves, our family, in a difficult financial situation.

Unfortunately - some can not.

/ Forty Grand? For a Stove? #92  
Step - it is obvious that you and I can spend this money and not place ourselves, our family, in a difficult financial situation.

Unfortunately - some can not.
Been on the other side of that coin... I assure you. I have what I have by God's grace and 45 years of really hard work. I do not have any guilt.

/ Forty Grand? For a Stove? #93  
Or a 72k truck to haul home your 40k stove.

/ Forty Grand? For a Stove? #95  
I understand completley - Step. I tend to spend much like a drunken sailor. Forty five years with my wife quelled those practices. Now, I live very comfortably. No guilt here either.

/ Forty Grand? For a Stove? #97  
I just ordered an American made electric range. It’s an induction stove and convection oven. When we researched them last year they were in stock. Checked prices again 2 months ago as we were getting close to purchasing and they were now falling behind on production with a 4 week ETA. Finally decided to pull the trigger this week and the new ETA is 13 weeks. People are flush with money and they can’t build appliances fast enough. We are living in crazy times.

We chose Viking. Ours is 30" so nothing big, and they make at least a couple series in that size.
Our old range is Maytag, and we were looking at Maytag and Kitchenaid (both built by Whirlpool), but the new models are no where near the quality (materials, fit, finish) of our 17 year old Maytag unless you went with the induction/convection and then the prices approached the better brands. Then my wife started looking at the better brands and settled on Wolf and Viking. She ultimately decided on Viking after seeing both in person and wanting less electronics and no digital screen. Only Viking offers the old school, knobs only, design. The induction top added quite a bit to the cost, and we went with the mid series model which was another big bump in price. When my wife initially told me the prices I flipped. She calmly reminded my of the several large purchases I made recently, including upgrading my old BCS tractor and tiller, and a new Woods rotary cutter last year. "What color do you want?" was my reply. I noticed the Viking we are getting weighs approximately 50% more than the Kitchenaid with similar features, which says a lot for the gauge of metals throughout. We're also getting 'an over the range', exhaust hood convection microwave that Viking includes for "free" (yeah, marketing gimmick but it worked). They're offering several freebee options based on purchase models, but I think they run these all the time. Cooking/baking is one of my wife's favorite hobbies. She bakes a couple times a week, cooks all meals daily, and we rarely eat any meals not prepared at home. I'd guess we eat restaurant food less than 10 meals per year, and that includes pizza and fast food. Spending money on a range is an easy decision for us from that perspective.

8 weeks into the 13 week wait, and the ETA is now updated to... 11 more weeks from today. 4 weeks turns into 13 weeks, which is now 24 weeks. I have no doubt it will get pushed out even more. The appliance store said the good news is that Viking has been producing and delivering product, and it's been their best company to deal with through the delays over the past year. They said their other brands are now over a year out for delivery times, and they are getting very little product if any from them. I thought we would have turned the corner on the supply chain crunch by now, but I'm afraid it's still headed in the wrong direction.
I haven't been posting on here for quite some time, but today I remembered this thread and thought I'd update my posts in it. What started as a 4 week ETA to get this range, has now been 115 weeks. Yep, One hundred and fifteen weeks, and we still do not have it, BUT we got word that it is now built and is being shipped to the dealer. By the time we get it delivered and installed, we'll be at 27 months! The price has increased 30% since we ordered it, but we put a deposit on it originally which locked the price. Not the finest hour for American manufacturing.

/ Forty Grand? For a Stove? #98  
We ended up buying a different fridge after waiting 2 years for them to start building the model we wanted again.
Hope the range arrives soon, what a pain to have to wait that long.

/ Forty Grand? For a Stove? #99  
We ended up buying a different fridge after waiting 2 years for them to start building the model we wanted again.
Hope the range arrives soon, what a pain to have to wait that long.
We would have cancelled the order long ago, but there was nothing else similar. We were close to settling for a regular electric stovetop instead of the induction, but by then the price increases meant we would be paying more for that than what we planned to pay for this induction model. That was a hard pill to swallow, and I'm glad we waited it out. I'm hoping manufacturing overall is starting to make a turn for the better.