Foton 404 front wheels not driving

/ Foton 404 front wheels not driving #1  

Morgz20

Tractor
Foton 404
Hello All,
Frequent visitor here but first post as this is the first issue I have been unable to get to the bottom of. I am hoping that someone out there may have had similar issues and be able to give me a hand (or someone else can learn from my mistakes!).

Long story short, I was using the loader shifting a pile of dirt in 4wd (a big no no I know!) when I heard a clunk from below the shuttle shifter and the front wheels no longer drive. Rear wheels and gears all working fine. So what I did was all the fault finding methods I could find on here:
Lift the front wheels of the ground - rotate 1 and check the other rotates opposite - correct
Lift one front wheel off the ground and put transfer case into 4wd - the wheel was able to rotate - this should have been held stationary by the rear wheels.

Time for the spanners to be taken out:
What was done - trans oil drained and transfer case taken off. I have read a lot off issues about similar issues with ball bearings popping out from the fwd shaft and was hoping this was the case here. Transfer case looked good and the linkage/engagement mechanism was operating correctly. Fwd shaft also looked good with splines at each end and no ball bearings to have popped out - so this was not the cause. With both front wheels on the ground, the fwd transfer shaft was unable to be rotated so it looks like from the transfer case forward is good.

Time to get a bit deeper in:
Off came both the covers above the shuttle shift and transmission sections. I found that I was able to rotate the gear which drives the transfer case freely with no apparent resistance or noises. Could be a key way on this shaft? Without having a diagram of my exact model I am assuming that this gear should be fixed to the final drive shaft. This gear is in an extremely hard section to see and rides on the lower of the two shafts which the forward/reverse gears ride on.

In an attempt to get a better look, I tried to split the tractor between the shuttle section and the transmission section following all the guides I have found however this was unable to be done as one of the shafts feels like it is holding it together.

So this is where I am currently at. My thoughts are that the tractor will have to be split at the clutch and I work back from there ... I am chasing up a parts diagram from the dealer. The other option is to put her all back together and use it as a 2wd tractor however I really miss having 4wd :(

I can post photos if it would help others to understand what I am going on about. I was just wondering if anyone else had seen similar issues out there that could steer me in the right direction.
Cheers
Dan

/ Foton 404 front wheels not driving #3  
I know this happened years ago, but what was the outcome. I have exactly the same problem.
cheers.

/ Foton 404 front wheels not driving #4  
I know this happened years ago, but what was the outcome. I have exactly the same problem.
cheers.
I’m interested as well