Foton 404 Starter and Relay

/ Foton 404 Starter and Relay #1  

fixnmix

Tractor
Foton 404A
So the starter has failed in my 404, it is the QDJ1309 - K model. There may be a used one out there, and I have reached out to a couple of places listed on the forum, but have not heard back. I am looking into a possible rebuild too. Any suggestions are welcome. I also have a relay that is burned out - i am assuming it is the starter relay, it has 5 pins and was located at the top of the fuse block (could this possibly be glow-plug related instead?). I have not found anything that 100% matches and would appreciate some help there.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron

Last edited:
   / Foton 404 Starter and Relay #2  
There is a relay built into the solenoid on the starter motor. It is where the battery connections are. On some models these can be disassembled, and the contacts cleaned and dressed.

/ Foton 404 Starter and Relay
There is a relay built into the solenoid on the starter motor. It is where the battery connections are. On some models these can be disassembled, and the contacts cleaned and dressed.
Bob,

Thanks for this - I will check it our for sure. While this may be a contributing factor, the wire between the solenoid and starter has melted the jacket off and trying to get the starter to spin is a no-go.

Aaron

/ Foton 404 Starter and Relay #4  
Bob,

Thanks for this - I will check it our for sure. While this may be a contributing factor, the wire between the solenoid and starter has melted the jacket off and trying to get the starter to spin is a no-go.

Aaron
Wow! Ok. That paints a different picture.

/ Foton 404 Starter and Relay
Wow! Ok. That paints a different picture.
Yes, it does. I got the starter removed and will take it to a shop tomorrow, so we will see. I still need to figure out the relay.