Found a coyote, I think

/ Found a coyote, I think #321  
Raspy IT's been a real pleasure to see what you've done with that dog. I'm sorry for the bigotry that she's been subjected to, but then as a species humanity still struggles with that aspect within itself. I'm fairly sure some "foghorn leghorn" will disagree ........... and not be able to substantiate his reasons, just repeat some stoic dogma he's learned by rote and never had the courage to challenge. I would have loved to meet Sandy and may do so yet. This thread was something I found by accident and feel like I've become involved. Like others here I would strongly encourage you to find a way to get this story out to the public via a book and since reading seems to escape much of society, a movie. I'm sure this would make an excellent Disney flick if old Walt were still alive. Like you I feel it necessary to define wild ....... urban teenagers could be classified as wild ........ just a random thought there. And ...... where are the greenpeacers in all this? Are their causes only selective?
Like I said earlier ........ Thank you for allowing us a glimpse of this story!

Look-a-here boy! I hate, I say, I hate, I say I HATE them dang coyotes because they et my brother!
Foghorn Leghorn

/ Found a coyote, I think
Raspy IT's been a real pleasure to see what you've done with that dog. I'm sorry for the bigotry that she's been subjected to, but then as a species humanity still struggles with that aspect within itself. I'm fairly sure some "foghorn leghorn" will disagree ........... and not be able to substantiate his reasons, just repeat some stoic dogma he's learned by rote and never had the courage to challenge. I would have loved to meet Sandy and may do so yet. This thread was something I found by accident and feel like I've become involved. Like others here I would strongly encourage you to find a way to get this story out to the public via a book and since reading seems to escape much of society, a movie. I'm sure this would make an excellent Disney flick if old Walt were still alive. Like you I feel it necessary to define wild ....... urban teenagers could be classified as wild ........ just a random thought there. And ...... where are the greenpeacers in all this? Are their causes only selective?
Like I said earlier ........ Thank you for allowing us a glimpse of this story!

Thanks for the thoughts. Sandy was really a lot of fun and so interesting to have around.

I take this subject pretty seriously because it affected us so deeply and opened up a world that took me to a place I've never been. For me it's no joke. How could life and death issues concerning our dear friend ever be taken lightly?

I've tried my best to convey the beauty and wonder of it all. Having so many thoughtful responses here has helped make the whole story come alive. Tonight I was thinking of the alternatives and again, decided we have done the right thing with her. Confinement vs abandonment in a harsh wilderness. The best of bad choices.

Having seen the depth of her intellect, her determination, her capacity to love and her imagination, I've gained a much greater sense of responsibility and respect for our wild friends. Can't we do better than use them for target practice? Can't we do better than dismiss them as mindless? I know they can be dangerous, but still............

I'm working on sharing Sandy's story with an even bigger group. We'll see if it works or not. Progress is slow because of all the distractions. My friend's are heading down to visit her next week so I should have more pix and an update in a couple of weeks or so. They are doing exactly what I hope many others do. Include a visit with Sandy if you have a reason to be near Scottsdale. We would all benefit and so would she. I'd love to get some updates from others that decided to go meet her. That girl is spending a lot of time bored these days.

Another example of beautiful and intelligent animals, which I know very little about, is the plight of the wild mustangs. Some of them live in the mountains right behind us and we can see them anytime we wish. It's high country with summer grass and water. Many little hidden valleys. We come upon them while out exploring and it's an intrusion in their world. I like to stop and see what their doing. Give them a chance to settle back down. The stallion snorts and stands between us and the mare. His mane and tail flowing in the breeze. A colt looks from near it's mom. Or several of them in another spot stop and decide if we're a threat as we wander by. Beautiful. Survivors. Living their family lives in peace. Like the dogs, a strong family structure, and doing so well they have to be "managed".

/ Found a coyote, I think #323  
MotorSeven I am glad to see you are getting double posts, I was begining to think I was doing something wrong.

Dang it....I try and catch them...must have been in a hurry. I know TBN is having a hard time with this new format, but this double post thing is getting old.

/ Found a coyote, I think #325  
Another example of beautiful and intelligent animals, which I know very little about, is the plight of the wild mustangs. ........

I've enjoyed reading your account of the coyote rescue.

It seems like the wild mustangs are kind of a different situation in that ultimately they are feral livestock, like feral pigs. Of course they are more photogenic, but they cause some of the same kinds of problems when they come in conflict with other indigenous animals that are also trying to survive on limited resources.

/ Found a coyote, I think #326  

It seems like the wild mustangs are kind of a different situation in that ultimately they are feral livestock, like feral pigs. Of course they are more photogenic, but they cause some of the same kinds of problems when they come in conflict with other indigenous animals that are also trying to survive on limited resources.
That's a good point.

/ Found a coyote, I think #327  

That's a good point.

That's what I mean when I say they are so successful that they have to be managed. For one reason or another, they are considered dangerous or a nuisance. Horses can become very successful in areas that they are not natural in, and so can burros. They become so successful that people see them as a problem, just because they are so adaptable and so successful.

This situation can even extend to trees. Around here the pinion pine is considered an invasive species and not natural. It's almost the only tree we have and the forest goes on for many miles. Beautiful. They fill with birds at night. Deer keep cool under them during the day. But the raptors can use them for a perch to watch for the Sage Grouse. The Sage Grouse is endangered. So the trees must go. There is a movement to clear all of them. That's right, millions of these beautiful and hearty desert trees that are a couple hundred years old are at risk to protect the sage grouse. I've talked to the guys that contract to cut the trees and, not surprisingly, they are very interested in saving the Sage Grouse and eliminating the invasive trees. But the power lines, which work even better for the raptors are fine.

I've been asking the question; what is the difference between wild and domestic? But I've gotten very little response. Now, with your point about horses, I wonder what the difference is between a wild horse and a tame one? Just that they are broken? For instance, cats become quite wild if they are feral. Are horses the same? And yet, a wild coyote, whose ancestors never lived with humans for thousands of generations, can become a fine pal and very safe to be around.

Maybe it's all in when they first experience human contact and how loving that contact is. Feral cats can be completely wild no matter what is done to tame them, but our Sandy was a very nice family member. We got her at just a few days old. She trusted us and had no other experience. Are horses similar?

/ Found a coyote, I think #329  
That's what I mean when I say they are so successful that they have to be managed. For one reason or another, they are considered dangerous or a nuisance. Horses can become very successful in areas that they are not natural in, and so can burros. They become so successful that people see them as a problem, just because they are so adaptable and so successful...........

I agree that feral animals (and plants) need to be controlled if you want to maintain a stable environment. Few would argue with how cute Eddie's pig is, but looking at the environmental damage done by feral pigs makes the case that their numbers must be controlled. Similarly plants like kuszu in the south or phragmites, garlic mustard and purple loosestrife in the north, while nominally attractive, lay waste to native plants that just can't compete.