Found a coyote, I think

/ Found a coyote, I think #361  
I have 2 llamas who guard my goats and sheep. If the llamas see a predator, they charge them making this wild call, that my wife and I call their war cry. Most predators are extremely intelligent, and if they see this rather large animal charging them while screaming they don't ask questions and they take off. Our llamas have chased coyotes, wolves, foxes, dogs and even raccoons. They've never had to engage them, but if they did, they kick quite hard, and could easily kill a predator with a well placed kick. Llamas are pretty intelligent in their own right. They know and accept my 4 dogs. But if a neighbor's dog gets unto my farm, they won't stay for very long.

By the way, we have a pack of coyotes that include our farm in their territory. We have never lost any animals to them. Not even chickens. But they are extremely helpful, by eating rodents and are especially fond of woodchucks. I've had a few neighbors who wanted to shoot them, but I've managed to stop them. At least where I live, the coyotes are extremely beneficial. I'm a wildlfie biologist, by education, and studies have shown that their diet is predominately rodents and rabbits.

/ Found a coyote, I think #362  
I have 2 llamas who guard my goats and sheep. If the llamas see a predator, they charge them making this wild call, that my wife and I call their war cry. Most predators are extremely intelligent, and if they see this rather large animal charging them while screaming they don't ask questions and they take off. Our llamas have chased coyotes, wolves, foxes, dogs and even raccoons. They've never had to engage them, but if they did, they kick quite hard, and could easily kill a predator with a well placed kick. Llamas are pretty intelligent in their own right. They know and accept my 4 dogs. But if a neighbor's dog gets unto my farm, they won't stay for very long.

By the way, we have a pack of coyotes that include our farm in their territory. We have never lost any animals to them. Not even chickens. But they are extremely helpful, by eating rodents and are especially fond of woodchucks. I've had a few neighbors who wanted to shoot them, but I've managed to stop them. At least where I live, the coyotes are extremely beneficial. I'm a wildlfie biologist, by education, and studies have shown that their diet is predominately rodents and rabbits.

/ Found a coyote, I think #363  
To add to RichZ post, the only thing i saw that scared our llamas was a killdeer. I have to say, seeing a llama chased by a tiny bird swooping at it was hilarious!

/ Found a coyote, I think #364  
Raspy,

Last night I had a reminder to check the sight for Sandy updates.

It was about 10 pm and was letting my dogs out before turning in for the night. Took the youngest out first as always, and noticed some movement about 100 feet to my left. Not very unusual but when I turned my flash light it wasn't the typical deer but an adult coyote! She stopped looked at us and not in any rush walked off into the tall grass in the field next to my house and just attempted to hide. Looked healthy, full coat and nice fluffy tail.

Needless to say first thing this morning I had some tractor time cutting the field,

Thanks to you and Sandy I look at the coyote differently today and was able to just enjoy the moment.

David

/ Found a coyote, I think
Raspy,

It was about 10 pm and was letting my dogs out before turning in for the night. Took the youngest out first as always, and noticed some movement about 100 feet to my left. Not very unusual but when I turned my flash light it wasn't the typical deer but an adult coyote! She stopped looked at us and not in any rush walked off into the tall grass in the field next to my house and just attempted to hide. Looked healthy, full coat and nice fluffy tail.

Needless to say first thing this morning I had some tractor time cutting the field,

Thanks to you and Sandy I look at the coyote differently today and was able to just enjoy the moment.

David

I showed your note to Liye. What a sight!
Thanks for that.

Raspy,

David

I showed your note to Liye. What a sight!
Thanks for that.

/ Found a coyote, I think #367  
was out the other night up here near Flint Michigan. The coyotes were really at it. Thought of Sandy. How is she doing?

Thanks.

/ Found a coyote, I think #368  
was out the other night up here near Flint Michigan. The coyotes were really at it. Thought of Sandy. How is she doing?

Thanks.

/ Found a coyote, I think #369  
Lost three turkeys to a coyote last week. sorry Raspy i have lost to many animals to coyotes. I am glad your experiment turned out in your favor, and we don't live to close to each other. My wife show's no mercy, when it comes to her animals.

I've been reading more articles lately on guard llamas.

Just today we were driving along and passed a sheep herd out in a field. There was a llama standing guard and looking very dutiful.
For those that can have one, it seems like a lot better solution than standing guard all the time yourself, or loosing animals when you aren't looking.

I would hate to have coyotes prowling around and killing my animals. Here's a link:

Guard Llamas Keep Sheep Safe From Coyotes

Last edited: