Found this really unusual triplex finish mower

/ Found this really unusual triplex finish mower #1  

Builder

East PA or 750 mi. east of a short man named Dar__
Tractor
Kubota, AGCO, New Holland LB
Found a very different mower than I have ever seen. Price is very very good. It is being sold by a local very prestigious golf course.
It's a MY 2000 Bush Hog 11' tri deck finish mower. However, this one has what the seller describes as "counter-rotating flail knives" over the horizontal blades that chop all the clippings or any leafs on the lawn into what he describes as "dust". There is no discharge of clippings whatsoever.
Furthermore, each deck is independently operated via a electric switched spool valve that mounts inside the tractor cab. In other words, you can raise/lower any deck or turn any deck off or on from operators seat you want.

He said it will cut grass as high as 15" (so long as the final cut is not expected to be like 2") and that they have removed the "counter rotating blade belts" to allow cutting of pretty tall, rough grass each year to cut rough patches outside the fairways.

Said it takes at least 45PTO to run it and it's very heavy duty, heavy built. Said Bush Hog no longer produces it, but parts are no problem. He said they're getting rid of it as they turn over all equipment when it hits 10 years old regardless of condition. It was replaced by a $65,000 Toro multi-deck machine. Speaking of condition, by pictures it looked pretty nice. He said it's been cared for by their shop tech and checks out perfectly. They paid $19,500 for it in 2000 and will sell it for 1/10th that price.
Looks like an ordinary Bush Hog Tri-deck, but with some extra gadegtry hooked up to it.

Would like to have a Tri-deck finish mower and quite honestly, even the standard Tri-decks sell for 2-3X this much.

What do you think? Go for it?

/ Found this really unusual triplex finish mower #2  
Hey Builder

I have a Bush Hog TDM 11 mower which I think is the predecessor of the one you're looking at.

First thing I want to say is ... I love the mower!! So please don't take the few negative things I'm going to say as bashing.

First of all, these mowers are no longer built by Bush Hog. BH sold the mower design to Locke Turf years ago. While there are MANY parts on the mower that are common with other BH parts and can still be bought through BH, I found that many of the parts for the counter rotating blades can only be found at Locke Turf. I needed the rings that the little flail looking blades bolt to and I was told by Bush Hog that I had to go to Locke Turf to get those parts. Sooo I don't use the counter rotating blades. I can't tell you how well the mower works with them. Those 9 rings were going to cost far more than I paid for the entire mower, so I just use it without them.

What I can tell you is the mower works GREAT as regular mulching mower. I pull mine with my 1720 Ford and it only has 28 HP. Remember though, I'm not using the counter rotating blades at all.

Mark

/ Found this really unusual triplex finish mower
What would you say is the MAX height average thickness grass you could cut?
And thanks MUCH for your input/advice~!!:thumbsup:

/ Found this really unusual triplex finish mower #4  
I would love to see a pic of this mower.
Bill

/ Found this really unusual triplex finish mower
It looks just like a BH tri deck finish mower, but it has a 3 deck spool valve and counter rotating flail blades.
If I buy it, I'll post up pics. Sounds like an engineering marvel.

/ Found this really unusual triplex finish mower #6  
Builder,
I can't really give you an accurate estimate on the max height of the grass.
First of all, I'm underpowered for the mower in tall grass with my 1720. And I'm not using the counter rotating mechanism.

I can tell you that when I was mowing my centipede sod field regularly, if the grass got more than about 3" tall, I had trouble. Not that the mower wouldn't cut it, but with only 28 hp, I didn't have enough "ooompphhh" to pull 11 feet of mower through the tall, thick centipede grass.

One BH dealer I talked to actually said the mower would be easier to pull through the thick tall grass if the counter rotating blades were working since they helped to mulch the clippings much faster.

Mark

/ Found this really unusual triplex finish mower #7  

Attachments

• FP-3132-Tow-Behind.jpg
    FP-3132-Tow-Behind.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 499
   / Found this really unusual triplex finish mower #8  
Builder,

I forgot to tell you that I did follow up on the Locke Turf thing when BH told me to contact them a couple years ago.

Locke Turf sold the mower design to Gravely, or was bought out by Gravely.

If you need parts, you can go to the Gravely website and search for a model MP3132 mower. Should be pretty close to what you have.

Mark